Railroad Forums 

• West Shore severed as a through route

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#65350  by O-6-O

Didn't the Peanut and the Shore cross in Akron, NY? Was it at grade or
an over/ under affair? Was there an interchange? .... so many questions
too few answers. I missed the steam era and the Shores hay day, damn
I hate being young!!

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#65407  by scottychaos

here is the modern view..
what is on the ROW's?
are there tracks in place on either line?
the Peanut going east from the junction is obviously just a dirt path,
but what is on the other 3 directions?
it doesent look like tracks..
that arc at the junction is very odd..

http://www1.nysgis.state.ny.us/tempimag ... 1D127E.gif
 #65761  by ChiefTroll

In 1959 through 1965 and more, the West Shore between Wayneport (CP-18) and Chili Jct (CP-37) was a fairly hot, single track TCS railroad, with a 60 mph speed limit for freight trains.

The West Shore from Rotterdam Jct. to Harbor, the connection with the jumpover to Schuyler Jct east of Utica, was still double track in 1950, according to one of my Mohawk-Hudson Division Timetables. Without digging out the timetable, I will take the risk of trying to remember that that segment showed as automatic block signal territory westward only, so the handwriting was already on the wall for the demise of the second track.
 #65883  by erie2937

The West Shore did not end at Frontier yard when it was opened in 1882. It ended downtown along Exchange Street near Michigan Avenue. The West Shore was the original owner of the NYC's Carroll Street Freight House. The West Shore came into Buffalo past what is now the quarry, crossed Harris Hill Road right there and went through what is now Walden Galleria, then under the intersection of Walden and Harlem and into what is now called the Cooper Yard. Then it ran along what is now the north side of Frontier Yard(along West Shore Street), under Bailey to what is now CP-T. Then it ran right down the street to Fillmore. This street running was all removed when Central Terminal was built. The NYC housed their passenger engines at the West Shore engine house which stood where the Flexi-Flo terminal was located at Bailey Avenue. The Gardenville Branch connected with the West Shore behind the airport. Part of that connection is still used by the Walden man - he runs on Track 4 east to CP-431 where he gets on the old Gardenville line to reach the printing plant.

#65916  by JoeS

The Wayneport end of the Shore used to rejoin the main line at CP18 (around MP 356) or just east of where block signal 356 is now. A siding extended between this CP and the present CP 359, making a total of 4 tracks between the two points.

I always assumed that "CP356" was eliminated, and the Shore cut back to where it now rejoins the main, in 1986 when the line was rebuilt. Anyone know for sure?

#67653  by chnaus

The west "Peanut" and WS crossed at the point known as Akron Jct.
It was very busy "once upon a time" as the Peanut was there about
25 years previous. Adjacent to the Jct were several gypsum/plaster
operations and nearby the Louisville Cement Co.
If you are familiar with the Addeca auto auction on Rt 5, the rear of that
lot was the pit area and the stone was sent down below the escarpment
to the plants. This lower area is now a campground and some of the
r-o-ws are roadways in the site. The bike paths are slowly increasing
in size.

#68823  by WNYRailfan

Any of you who are familiar with the City of Buffalo and Buffalo Central Terminal may be interested in this fact:

One of the reasons the current site East of Buffalo was highly considered for a place to build the terminal was because of the West Shore trackage in that area. With existing trackage and a small yard, the railroad just had to spend money moving the track as opposed to starting with 100% new trackage. The current diagonal route of Memorial Drive is the original West Shore ROW.

#68866  by O-6-O

Where would one find info with regard to train symbols on the Shore.
I,m looking for the job out of Dewitt to Vernon and back in the 60's
Otto? ?????

STEAM ON
 #69873  by Rob

The WS served the Ilion plant of Remington Arms, delivering coal for the power plant. This stopped in the late 50's or early 60's. The tracks came off the WS near East North Street and ran south, crossing East North and East Clark St (near the present day Crossway's Tavern). They then turned west and ran down the middle of Main Street between the Remington factories that were on either side of the street. Just before Otsego Street the tracks turned south into the plant where the coal would be unloaded. I believe Remington had their own switcher to do this, however I was quite small and really don't remember the details on that.

#69994  by roadster

While reading "CONRAIL" by MBI publications, I read a segment which stated that the NYC cut it's WS as a through route between Utica and Buffalo in the mid '50's. Good book, alot of preConrail history.

#74211  by SRS125

Out of an odd question how much of the West Shore is still in place and being used I only know of a few locations.

Jordon, NY-Jordon Industral (Old Westshore/NYC Yard)

Rotterdam JCT

Fairport-to-Churchville

Clockville, NY The NYC realinment to the West of Clockville where the NYC Tied into the Shore to by pass the grade crossing threw town.

#74300  by O-6-O

On a trip to Albany this weekend I followed the Shore from Mohawk to
RJ along NY 5s. Seems the Cushing Stone business in Craneville is gone
as far as rail goes. A contractor is scrapping the line from mp 165 or
so back to mp161 (Pattersonville) making this now end of track. Since
Cushing was the only customer on the line the whole thing is likely doomed. Sad :( . The only piece left I think is the 1/2 mile or so in
New Hartford ( part of the NYS&W New York Mills Ind) and of course the
Rochester bypass. BTW at Cushing trere is an old model 40 EMC center
cab switcher clearly visable from 5s, long OOS. Needs to me in a museum
I think.

STEAM ON