Railroad Forums 

• West Shore Mohawk & Syracuse Division Timetables

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1234333  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

[/quote] By the way in the Open Street Map, it labels the other line in the area as the NY Susquehanna and Western. I always thought it was the Delaware Lackawanna and Western.[/quote]

I'm sure that at one time it was the D. L. & W. Former ROW's of fallen flags that are still active today are labeled on O.S.M. under the railroads that currently operate them.
 #1234462  by pumpers

NYCUticaSyracuse81 wrote:
By the way in the Open Street Map, it labels the other line in the area as the NY Susquehanna and Western. I always thought it was the Delaware Lackawanna and Western.
I'm sure that at one time it was the D. L. & W. Former ROW's of fallen flags that are still active today are labeled on O.S.M. under the railroads that currently operate them.
Duh, I should have been able to figure that one out :( . I was so focused on the past my head blocked out the present!

I also found a map of the NYOW/WS junction from 1907 (actually in New Hartford, just outside the Utica City limits). http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... /New+York/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You can zoom in fairly far, at least on my laptop. There is clearly a connecting track in the right quadrant at the DLW/WS junction. There isn't one visible at the NYOW /WS junction, although the angle of intersection is so shallow that maybe it isn't shown.
In any case, maybe the WS used the DLW and not the NYO&W coming west out of Utica (and reverse). JS
 #1244342  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

pumpers wrote:Some trivia:
In 1910 it appears that Utica to Syracuse (at least as far as Fairport just east of Syracuse) was running on the West Shore (on the West Shore timetable), but by 1921 that segment seems to have been via the NYC mainline, not the West Shore.
In both 1910 and 1921 the West Shore trains used the NYC stations in Utica, Syracuse, and Rochester. From looking at old maps, there are logical places get off and on the West Shore to/from the NYC on either side of Syracuse and Rochester, but not Utica. Heading westbound, it is not clear how you get back on the West Shore after stopping at Union Station (on NYC rails) in Utica, unless you took the New York Ontario & Western for a for a few miles through the west side of Utica. Anyone know if this is how they actually did it?
JS
I just received my copy of Taibi's new Oneida Railway Company book the other day, and man is a great! It has already filled in so many gaps for me and I've only browsed it over so far.

According to the book, steam passenger service on the West Shore between Utica and Syracuse ended during 1907, but there were some excursions after that. I'm still trying to figure out why Oneida Castle was listed as being on the 1909 timetable if all steam passenger service had ended two years earlier?? After the fall of passenger service on the Oneida's interurban (1930), passenger service did not return between Utica and Syracuse. The only exceptions to this being the rare derailment on the mainline, and the W.S. was used as a detour via the Canastota connection. One example given in the book, was of the NYC's 20th Century Limited using the shore during a derailment on the main in the early 1960's. The book states that W.S. passenger service did continue between Albany and Utica, and Syracuse and Buffalo after the demise of the Third Rail, but I'm still not clear if is was through service via the mainline between Utica and Syracuse. I'm pretty sure that all passenger service on the shore between between Albany and Buffalo had ceased by 1934.