Railroad Forums 

• WEST SHORE DOUBLE-TRACKING!

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#14207  by Dieter

Boy, I bet that sure got your attention!

With the rebirth of the Website elsewhere, here's the place to hash developments out on this issue.

While at West Point in the winter, I was told that CSX was going to re-lay the 2nd track along at least two long parts of the West Shore. So, that's to say passing tracks, rather than a full restoration of the missing 2nd track.

Anyone have an update on this topic?

Dieter.

#15032  by CSX Conductor

they were doing alo of track work last summer, as part of an effort to reduce delays.

FYI, this is CSX's "River Line".

You are correct that they are not planning on double tracking the whole line, just installing more controlled sidings.

#15131  by CSX Conductor

Dieter, maybe RCBSD45 would know, he is an engineer on the River Line.

#15330  by rcbsd45

Actually, I'm not sure I can add anything new to the discussion. What I HAVE heard was that the railroad is looking at increasing capacity on the River Line, and one possibility being discussed was the installation of a second track between CP 121 and CP 128. To do this would require the relocation of one intermediate signal, the redecking of one bridge for the new track and the modification of one grade crossing. Minimal disruption and the result would be almost 12 miles of double track from CP SK to CP 118. Most of what I heard on this was from last year. Then I heard there were plans of adding a second track just north of Tompkins Cove(MP 37) to MP 41. I tend to believe half of what I see and less of what I hear; just based on past history. Wish I had more to add to the subject, but at this point, I can't. Who knows? Stay tuned, that's all I can say.....