Railroad Forums 

• West end of Pine-Aire DEF repaired?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #826581  by freightguy

The switch may be replaced but the crossover almost definetly not. Long Island removes those for maintenance cost. With an interlocking half a mile up the line no need for an electric lock crossover. The did the same thing by OLD DK about ten years ago. The LIRR removed crossovers near siding. That is 4 electric lock switches removed. They also took out Kaufman Allied in Central Islip. A few years ago they removed Old Nash which is right next to Pineaire. These were both hand thrown switches not equipped with an electric lock device.

You used to have to know the locations of these for physical characteristics exams. Makes them a bit easier with these switches removed. Side note, there is talk about expanding the DEF at Pineaire one of reasons why the West Switch hasn't been replaced yet.
 #836323  by freightguy

The LIRR has cleared all the trees in the area West of Pineaire near the driving range. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the extended siding. Seems suspect though. I guess that woman will complain about that since 1844 same right of way...
 #866273  by Teutobergerwald

There's a monster mixed freight on the siding, as of 5pm tonight, that stretches east from the Sagtikos Pkwy. as far as the eye could see, I guess waiting to head west? I'd love to catch that when it moves out.
 #963468  by Teutobergerwald

There's a lot of rail laying around the west end of the siding, between the rails especially. What's going on down there? Has the switch been fixed also?
 #963543  by freightguy

Speaking with someboy recently, they want to extend siding towards Excutive Dr. They also want to build a small yard towards Pineaire yard office. Supposedly the state ran out of money for these projects, so the work has been delayed....