Railroad Forums 

• West Cressona Roundhouse destroyed by fire

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#229050  by Schuylkill Valley

I was to the Leesport train show yesterdaySunday 26, 06 and I was told that the Ex. Reading roundhoues burndown early yesterday morning around 2:00am. cause of fire unkown at this time.

Another pice of history up in smoke! what a shame.

Len.

#229080  by Schuylkill Valley

I found this information on channel 16 news website. Fire Destroys Schuylkill County Factory

Flames destroyed a factory early Sunday morning in Cressona.
Sunday, March 26, 8:16 a.m.

A fire that destroyed a factory in Schuylkill County could be the work of an arsonist.

The flames at Cressona Textile Waste started around 2:30 a.m. Sunday. The factory at the corner of Front and Railroad streets in Cressona makes cleaning rags for other businesses.

People living near the factory said they saw flames shooting from the building.

Firefighters from Cressona and many surrounding communities were still on the scene more than six hours later trying to put out the flames. Several streets in Cressona were closed to traffic on Sunday. Officials said it could be well into the afternoon before the fire is out completely.

Fire Chief Rich Dronick said someone was seen running from the area just as the fire started. He said the fire took off fast and there was nothing they could do to save the building.

Some homes in the area were evacuated due to heavy smoke early in the morning.

I saw this on Railfan.net

#471446  by Roundhouse Brat

I was trained as an arson investigator in my Liberty Mutual days. I hated those bastards that would deliberately set a fire to get a thrill. Put people out of businesses and jobs for a thrill. I helped put a few in jail!

Burning a RH also destroys history.