Railroad Forums 

• Went to Fostoria, OH

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#112383  by caf0929

I took my almost 3 year old son to Fostoria yesterday. Took us about an hour and half to get there, but it was worth it! I asked a local business owner if there was anywhere we could park and he was cool enough to let us park on his lot which was right on Columbus Road at the diamond. Lots of BNSF trains, and much to the delight (and terror) of my son, one of the locos blew a "da da da da da.....da da" to us. It was quite loud so I covered his ears, but he was so excited naming all the cars. He knows the differences between all the cars, gondolas, hoppers, boxcars, etc. We sat for about 25 minutes and saw 6 trains, went to Mickey D's for lunch then came back and saw 7 more before we went home. Pretty fun!

Christine
Mommy to future engineer Nick

#114335  by railohio

Sounds like a good day! There's almost always something running through there; if you go more than a half hour without a train then something is definitely wrong! Glad to see young railfans getting out trackside. It's the best way to promote the hobby. One of these days you'll have to take him over to Deshler. It's another half hour west of Fostoria and there's fewer trains but the park there would be great fun for him to roam in and you'll have fewer security worries in a smaller town.