Railroad Forums 

• Wellsboro & Corning discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1015475  by bk77

I THINK I remember reading the Myles Group only paid about a million when they bought the WCOR a couple years ago, so I'd say they made out like bandits. Good for them! The article also says the Myles family will retain their senior leadership roles, which I hope means the WCOR will retain its identity (and still run the planned dinner trains with the F units) and not become a hodge-podge of engines with different colors and names of other RailAmerica roads (i.e. NECR)...

http://investor.railamerica.com/phoenix ... highlight=
 #1015485  by scottychaos

sallenparks wrote:It's like 70%. also new loco http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2874916.
Interesting that all the WCOR power seems to be of Canadian origin..in three separate batches:
First the four SD40-2's, all Canadian..
then the F-units..FP7's originally built and used in Canada..
now a fifth SD40..also of Canadian origin..

whats the story there?
seems like more than just a coincidence..

Scot
 #1026333  by ClinchValley

The new water trains are now running - daily. Two huge water tanks at Wellsboroo JCt, a facility to unload the tank cars on the east side of the main and a water loading facility at the north end of the railroad at Mulholland Road. Usually one SD40-2 and 15 to 20 tank cars. Usually called for 8am, follows the WC-1 transfer to NS and comes back to WBJ early afternoon ahead of the WC-1. Interesting all on line move.
 #1027039  by cr9615

ClinchValley wrote:The new water trains are now running - daily. Two huge water tanks at Wellsboroo JCt, a facility to unload the tank cars on the east side of the main and a water loading facility at the north end of the railroad at Mulholland Road. Usually one SD40-2 and 15 to 20 tank cars. Usually called for 8am, follows the WC-1 transfer to NS and comes back to WBJ early afternoon ahead of the WC-1. Interesting all on line move.
What are the symbols for all the WCOR jobs? I heard the Wellsboro yard crew is S1 (I believe there's actually 1-2 more crews), but that's all I know.
 #1027056  by Matt Langworthy

cr9615 wrote:What are the symbols for all the WCOR jobs? I heard the Wellsboro yard crew is S1 (I believe there's actually 1-2 more crews), but that's all I know.
WCOR does indeed have 2-3 crews working each week day, but I have no idea what the train symbols are.
 #1027085  by ClinchValley

Symbols are:

WC-1 The NS transfer job. Runs pretty much every day if there are cars at NS to bring back.

S1 Local switch job, handles most switching at Wellsboro Junction. Some days it will double as the water train to Mulholland

H2O No "official" symbol for the new water train to Mulholland, but crews like to use this.

Silo Job Handles unloading sand cars at the silos. Runs 24 hours a day (2 jobs)

Bosram (sp?) Job that goes downtown Wellsboro to switch the light bulb place

That's it for now (I think)
 #1027104  by Aji-tater

Well, doing the incredibly difficult research of reading the previous three posts, we find the yard job is S-1 and the job to NS is WC-1. So there's two out of three for you. Seems the only two questions left are 1) what is the water train symbol and 2) are there any other crews besides those three.
 #1027181  by Matt Langworthy

Aji-tater wrote:Well, doing the incredibly difficult research of reading the previous three posts, we find the yard job is S-1 and the job to NS is WC-1. So there's two out of three for you. Seems the only two questions left are 1) what is the water train symbol and 2) are there any other crews besides those three.
There is an additional crew on the days when the excursions run.
 #1027428  by ClinchValley

Thought I answered it, but here goes. The only other job besides the ones you mentioned are the "Silo" jobs, day and night (only one night crew at this time). They handle unloading sand at the new silos, two tracks worth and right now two locos being used. The Silo jobs will also do any switching around the yard if the S1 or WC1 are not available.

No "official" name for the water train yet. H2O is the name of choice for the crews.
 #1031801  by Matt Langworthy

It's nice to see at least one of the Alcos is being used now. All 3 of them were in storage when I visited Wellsboro Jct in late January.
 #1032229  by ClinchValley

If you want to see the old Alco (506) working, pretty easy. It runs on the downtown (Osram) job on Tuesday and Friday. Job called at 8am but usually doesn't get into town until close to 10. If you have a scanner, either channel 41 or 82. Plenty of excellent public property to photo/video from downtown. Catch it climbing the hill from WB Junction to town and it should sound pretty good.