Railroad Forums 

• Wellsboro & Corning discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#988840  by K4Pacific

Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, the Michigan Air Line Ry placed on the CSXT
interchange at Wixom, Mich. WCOR 1304 and 1306. These are FP7's
ex-Montreal Transport that have been sitting in Walled Lake, MI for several years.
Units going to G. Silcott for work than on to the Tioga Central.
 #988867  by scottychaos

quote from this thread, post from November 12, 2010: (over a year ago)
K4Pacific wrote:This just in! I have reports of F Units in Gang Mills Yard today for WCOR. Tommy Myles said they were trying to get some to run a second passenger train and try out of Corning. When the revenue rolls for frac sand, excursions and equipment benefit. I'm heading over now to see what's up.
So what were the F-units that were reported as being in Gang Mills one year ago?
I seriously wondered why we never saw any photos of F-units in Wellsboro over the past year..the ones that arrived in November of 2010..
turns out, its because they weren't there! ;)

or were they?

June 3, 2011:
sallenparks wrote:Still no F's was there Thursday.
November 14, 2011:
thebigham wrote:
They supposedly have been interchanged to go to Silcott (?) for repairs or rebuilding and then to the W&C.
im confused..did we ever actually have F-units in Gang Mills or Wellsboro over the past year? or no?
were there actually F-units in Gang mills a year ago?
and we seem to be talking about two different sets of F-units too:

November 16, 2011:
K4Pacific wrote:Sunday, 13 Nov 2011, the Michigan Air Line Ry placed on the CSXT
interchange at Wixom, Mich. WCOR 1304 and 1306. These are FP7's
ex-Montreal Transport that have been sitting in Walled Lake, MI for several years.
Units going to G. Silcott for work than on to the Tioga Central.
It sounds like that set has been sitting for years..
and certainty weren't "on the road" to Gang Mills a year ago..
can anyone explain what is going on with this F-unit mystery tour? ;)

Scot
 #988875  by K4Pacific

And so it goes...do I really need to justify or defend my moral morass? Lol
 #988991  by K4Pacific

No clarification. Let's get ready for the Dickens Christmas Runs. Have a great Thanksgiving.
 #989100  by K4Pacific

NS won't allow it. I've been working for a few years trying to get a wine train started with them. A knock off of the Napa Valley Wine Train.
 #989285  by railbird steve

Im sorry, but how can w&c run a pass train to corning?? If you walk along the line west of wegmans-past the patterson bridge to the tioga bridge tell me how this track is safe? comrail & n.s have ties that are sep. &broken n.s. aint gonna upgrde this for a tourist train -they just need it to serve pressware(world kictchen). n.s runs this job at min sp. with min. maint. god forbid they put one in the river.(pick 1 tioga-chemung!) the tracks & ties are that bad-If ya dont believe me take a walk -----back of wegmans to m.p. 75!
 #989328  by scottychaos

well..pure speculation here..but probably the only way W&C could ever run a train into Corning is if they own the tracks..
which could happen in the future..
If NS doesnt want the line anymore, and W&C does, it wouldnt be a stretch to see W&C buy the line just to run excursions into Corning...Corning is a *much* better tourist train terminal than Wellsboro! much bigger market, and better location to draw in the tourists...I could see it happening someday! it not that big of a stretch to fix up..

Scot
 #989331  by K4Pacific

Reciprocal lease is the only way. That's always been the key sticking point. Now with the frack water unit trains on Mulholland Rd. , it's going to be tougher on that low margin run.
 #989332  by Matt Langworthy

The rumors about the Tioga Central RR potentially expanding into Corning have been circulating since the late '90s. It's a nice idea... but I'll believe it when I see it.