Railroad Forums 

• Wellington Area Track Work

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1565946  by dieciduej

From today, March 15th thru April 9th Orange Line trains will single tracking through Wellington on the southbound rail all day Monday thru Thursday as well as shuttle busing, via Peter Pan, over the weekend Oak Grove to Sullivan. This is to replace the leads to the Wellington Yard.

Since Wellington is my start and end point I will try to take pictures, of the NB side, when I can of the progress of the work. As of this first day two switches on the NB side, the one leading from the Test Track (TT) to the NB track and the switch leading from the NB track to the SB track have been removed. Also on the SB side of things the switch that leads from the TT to the NB track has been removed and the ballast has been scraped down to the sub-grade.

Here is today's pic, note the track on the left side of the photo was a stub storage track that I never saw used since the station was opened in 1975. By chance is there anyone in the know if they will replace the track in the Wellington NB pit? With the collection of gauge-rods and hollow ties its kind of due.
Attachments:
Wellington NB Track Work 15 March 2021
Wellington NB Track Work 15 March 2021
Wellington NB 03-15-2021.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2144 times
 #1566016  by jwhite07

Per MBTA.com: "Shuttle buses replacing Orange Line service between Oak Grove and Community College due to a derailment in the work zone at Wellington."

01400s involved according to a photo I have seen.
 #1566041  by dieciduej

When I saw the work order, a couple of weeks ago, for this project switching NB to SB and visa-versa I said that is froth with danger. The chances of putting it on the ground can go through the roof . And here we are!

Yesterday broken rails at Sullivan and Community College and this early morning trains with mechanical issues now this. The T is beyond bloodied on this job.

Luckily have to work late but something tells me this will be an all-nighter for this repair.
 #1566084  by dieciduej

So it's been a fun day in the Wellington area. After shuttling around the derailment I was able to get a photo of the offending Orange Line train after it was rerailed and pulled back into the SB platform. Also the work they were doing, until the train hit the ground, on the switch off the TT on the NB side.
Attachments:
Wellington Track Work TT 16 March 2021
Wellington Track Work TT 16 March 2021
Wellington TT 03-16-2021.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 1973 times
Rerailed Orange Line Train at Wellington
Rerailed Orange Line Train at Wellington
Rerailed OL Train.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1973 times
 #1566457  by dieciduej

So with the overall shutdown of the Orange Line between Oak Grove to Sullivan they have decided to replace all the yard leads in one fell swoop. Here is a Saturday view showing that all the switches on the north side of Wellington have been pulled and are being replaced.
Attachments:
Wellington NB Switch Replacement 20 March '21
Wellington NB Switch Replacement 20 March '21
Wellington NB 03-20-2021.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1694 times
 #1566590  by octr202

Is the current work only addressing the north end of Wellington, or is there work being done on the south end interlocking, too? While it's been a while since I've been on the Orange Line, I recall the ride through that interlocking was pretty rough, too.
 #1566607  by dieciduej

octr202 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:42 pm Is the current work only addressing the north end of Wellington, or is there work being done on the south end interlocking, too?
Yes they are replacing the south side interlocking, especially the offending derailment switch. Because Wellington Station platform is closed its hard to get a view of the work in progress.

Here is today's photo run. They have completely replaced the yard lead to the SB track and the NB to SB switch. Over the weekend the test track switch had been completely removed, scraped down to the sub-grade and new 3rd feeder conduit was laid. As of today everything was back filled with ballast. I also noticed the NB track does not have a switch in place for the NB to TT.
Attachments:
NB to SB Switch
NB to SB Switch
Wellington NB Track Work 3 03-22-2021.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 1522 times
Torsion Beam Tamper
Torsion Beam Tamper
Wellington NB Track Work 2 03-22-2021.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 1522 times
Wellington Yard Lead Switches North Side
Wellington Yard Lead Switches North Side
Wellington NB Track Work 1 03-22-2021.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1522 times
 #1566745  by octr202

Thanks for the photos and updates for those of us "out of the area."
 #1566768  by TurningOfTheWheel

Is the derailing problem exclusive to Wellington, then? You have to wonder then if there's a chance the new trains will be out of service until the Wellington Yard rebuild is complete.
 #1566789  by dieciduej

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:10 am Trains is reporting that the car weight may be the problem:
I see passenger weight limitations around the curve! :P
TurningOfTheWheel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:52 am Is the derailing problem exclusive to Wellington, then? You have to wonder then if there's a chance the new trains will be out of service until the Wellington Yard rebuild is complete.
The switches and the trackage in the Wellington area are almost original, 1975. Over the years rails, ties, switch points and machines have been replaced piecemeal. This is the first rip it all out, regrade and start the job fresh.

In regard to the weight I am not sure of the weight differences between the Orange Line #12s and #14s but something moving something over a switch that is tired and worn isn't a good combination. One odd thought the #12 are probably lose where a #14 may be stiff and not forgiving. Case in point coming out of the portal at Community NB a #12 bounces on the incline, airbag suspension is shot so just mechanical springs. A #14 is smooth, airbag suspension no lose joints.

As far as I know they are pulled until the yard leads are completed. Supposedly the shuttle buses will end on April 4th with the occasional weekend job.

JoeD
 #1566817  by CRail

No cars are operated in service without functioning air springs.
 #1566830  by dieciduej

Wow, the #12's suspension is really squishy but great for shaking my martini! I figure in the next week they will replace the northern most switches. Sometime over the weekend I'll walk over to the Dana Bridge to see the southside.
Last edited by CRail on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unneccessary quote removed.