Railroad Forums 

• Well Hole Flat Cars

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#669375  by scharnhorst

Dose anyone still use Well Hole Flat Cars anymore? I came across a few photos in a Penn Central Book on freight cars but have not seen any outhers more resent photos.
 #669623  by Sir Ray

I'm tempted to say no (outside of historic/preservation usage, of course)

1st, the AAR designination of Well-Hole flat cars is interesting in and of itself:
"FW" -- Flat well-hole car for special transportation of plate-glass, etc. This car is a flat car with hole in middle to enable lading to be dropped down on account of clearance limits (1/17-4/99).
Plate glass? I can't image that going in any thing but containers (or maybe boxcars) if by rail - well, maybe in special packages on regular flats, but no need for well-hole.
Otherwise, a lot of times transformer transport is mentioned, but that could go as easily via depressed center flatcars, and there's a decent number of those in revenue service nowadays, so again no need for well-holes - actually, I was wondering what advantage did well-holes offer vs depressed center - was it soley a construction/structural strength issue, when I found this cool tidbit (and it does involve glass):
March 25, 1936 The 200-inch mirror blank for the Palomar observatory begins its cross- country trip aboard a well-hole flat car [NYC 499010]. At the time it was shipped it was the single most valuable item ever shipped by rail. Railroad Vice-Presidents accompanied the special train to make sure there were no problems. As it traveled in the well-hole flatcar, the mirror was only inches above the rails.
(from this website) - I wonder if the sides were used to protect this kind of load (the mirror had to be secured anyway so it wouldn't shift around in transit, was having sides a plus in this instance?)
 #669852  by scharnhorst

humm intresting.
 #781855  by John_Perkowski

MODERATOR'S NOTE:
Thank you for your patience. Otto has swung by and seen the offending post. The thread is again unlocked.
 #787072  by scharnhorst

John_Perkowski wrote:MODERATOR'S NOTE:
Thank you for your patience. Otto has swung by and seen the offending post. The thread is again unlocked.

did someone post something that should not been posted here??
 #787220  by Sir Ray

scharnhorst wrote:
John_Perkowski wrote:MODERATOR'S NOTE:
did someone post something that should not been posted here??
I think advertising spam in a few threads.
Shame, because I'd like to read more about well-hole flatcar operations, and wellhole vs. depressed center flat usage, myself...
 #788126  by John_Perkowski

No post with content was removed. Only some malicious spam.

If you see spam, hit the triangle warning button and PM me. We'll take care of it :)
 #788615  by scharnhorst

they do seem to be a vary intresting car. The only color photos that I have come across are in a Penn Central Guide to Fraight and Passenger equipment. The pics show cars moveing big steel rings in them.