Railroad Forums 

• Welded Rail and Infrastructure Multi-Year Upgrades

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#443072  by clearblock

There were 2 highrail dump trucks and a ballast regulator spreading stone working north from E River Rd across Erie Station Rd this morning.
Last edited by clearblock on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#443098  by Mike Walsh

clearblock wrote:There we 2 highrail dump trucks and a ballast regulator spreading stone working north from E River Rd across Erie Station Rd this morning.
...Confirmed.. I drove over the mainline on I90, and spotted work crews just south of I90 at approx 8:50am....

#445001  by alsorailfan

9/12/07 2dump trucks, one filled and payloader at Golah. Ballast on laid out are the size of baseballs to softballs. The pile of stones are more to 'normal' size. Small pile of small stones/crushed stone is what i assume to be for the grade crossing.
Crews were doing welding work at the switch at Howlett Farm. Noticed a bunch of guys at the farmer's access road south of Howlett looking at it or to the north. Are there any plans for installing a switch south of Howlett?
Chris

#445021  by Mike Walsh

After talking to the folks yesterday, there are two to three weeks left on the trackwork project. All that remains is spreading ballast and tamping ballast. There is currently equipment stored at a local industry off of the LA&L mainline, so that mainline trains can run when the MOW crew is not working, and it is out of the way.

#445168  by alsorailfan

Where is the tamper being kept? Didn't see it anywhere Wednesday unless is was with all those equipments at Avon.

#445525  by Mike Walsh

alsorailfan wrote:Where is the tamper being kept? Didn't see it anywhere Wednesday unless is was with all those equipments at Avon.
I will let Luther announce, if he feels that it is appropriate.

#447050  by Luther Brefo

Mike Walsh wrote:
alsorailfan wrote:Where is the tamper being kept? Didn't see it anywhere Wednesday unless is was with all those equipments at Avon.
I will let Luther announce, if he feels that it is appropriate.
The tamper moves along the line as necessary.

#447936  by Luther Brefo

Tamping of what appears to be size 3 ballast appears to have progressed to a point beyond East River Road. The mainline looks very clean!
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

#448059  by Matt K Dettman

Luther Brefo wrote:Tamping of what appears to be size 4 ballast appears to have progressed to a point beyond East River Road. The mainline looks very clean!
Some photos when available would be nice.

#448159  by alsorailfan

Is size 4 what we normally see along the surface of the ballast? What size do they put down first? And what size do they use for the grade crossing?

Chris

#448454  by Luther Brefo

alsorailfan wrote:Is size 4 what we normally see along the surface of the ballast? What size do they put down first? And what size do they use for the grade crossing?

Chris
First a correction on my part:

The stone being used is number 3 stone.

And onto your question.

Number 4 is larger stone and more common on high tonnage, high speed lines. Number 4 is also most effective for erosion control and maximum drainage. Number 3 works well for most railroads and is probably still the most common today. Number three can be used all throughout the railroad including Up to crossings, few public crossings, if any, are laid in stone. Asphalt is usually preferred. Number 3 stones are usually between 1 and 2.5 inches. Number four is usually 2 to 4 inches.

I'm no expert on this but I've been told that 3A can be used as sub-road as it packs pretty well.

The thing to remember is simply because number 3 three sotne was used when the track was installed or repaired or replaced, does not mean that years down the road, the stone will be in the same condition, it packs, it chips, it settles, it becomes contaminated (with soil, and other non ballast materials), amongst other things.

Again, I am no expert on the matter but this is what I have learned in conversations and by reading and a dash of experience here and there. YMMV. :)

#451986  by Luther Brefo

It's basically done, folks...

The hard part is over. As far as I am aware, other parts (non welded portions) of the line may see some work in the future.

The high iron looks great!

#451988  by railwatcher

Luther Brefo wrote:
The hard part is over. As far as I am aware, other parts (non welded portions) of the line may see some work in the future.
One would hope that the Avon Industrial line get some attention. Many rotted out ties, and spikes coming right up out of the rails and plates. I realize its a low speed line but it looks like it is sinking in to the ground in places. Drainage work is needed also, from the fields between the Lakeville main and the industrial line. Gets real wet in the fall, winter and spring.

Maybe the Main above Brooks Rd. will see some upgrades, too. While the equipment is in place, they might as well make use of it.

#453631  by Otto Vondrak

I'm sure there are budgetary concerns as well. The industrial track to Kraft most likely sees routine maintenance, but because of it's low-speed nature, does not require the same level of rebuilding like the mainline does. I'm sure there's lots of housekeeping to be done before the spring rains, including clearing culverts and ditching along the main...

So essentially, LAL is back to it's normal operating routine?

-otto-

#453643  by Luther Brefo

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm sure there are budgetary concerns as well. The industrial track to Kraft most likely sees routine maintenance, but because of it's low-speed nature, does not require the same level of rebuilding like the mainline does. I'm sure there's lots of housekeeping to be done before the spring rains, including clearing culverts and ditching along the main...

So essentially, LAL is back to it's normal operating routine?

-otto-
Trains are running in daylight once again! It is much easier to take photos of moving objects when one has the sun as the main source of light!

:)