Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#90687  by Phase Gap

Does anyone know who is rebuilding WC Tower in Waldwick NJ? And if so do they have a web site to watch them rebuild it on. thanks
 #90766  by sullivan1985

It's being rebuilt?!?!!?!?

Wow, is this NJT funded? Seems like NJT wants to preserve the towers. BJ was cleaned up a few years back too...

Now I would really love it if all the old trestle where repainted with the logos of the original railkroads that built them.

#90773  by NJT4207

Waldwick is doing a fundraiser, but I don't know if it's for the station or the tower.

#90892  by cjvrr

I believe it is being rebuilt as a public / private partnership. The man heading the work to restore the tower is Curt Springstead, grandson or greatgrandson of the famous Erie Engineer Harvey Springstead. You can contact Curt at:

[email protected]

Plans now are to only restore the tower. I believe NJT has expressed interest in restoring the station, but no work has been done.
 #91122  by MSC34

Last time I photographed the station (2003) it bore a sign stating the station was listed on the state historical register. The sign did not indicate when the station would be restored. My guess - state politicos haven't appropriated the necesary funds. :-D
 #91132  by sullivan1985

Yeah I was there last year too. Didnt see the sign though :-(

Sad thing is that the CNJ Terminal is listed as a historic landmark and look at the lovely condition the train sheds are in. Hopefully they do something to Waldwick soon. Its a tiny station, but the BCL and the Main Line in my opinion would best with that old school railroading look.
 #161926  by MSC34

The outside of the tower looks refurbished to me. I took two digital pictures last week (8/24) I can share. I just don't have a web site on which to post and link.

Matt
 #161968  by n01jd1

Passed by WC today and it looks great! The lat time I got a photo of WC, it was in REALLY rough shape. The way things had been going, I thought WC would one day either burn to the ground or collapse under its own weight. Thankfully that will not be the case as it is one of the few Erie wooden towers still in existance.
 #1342978  by philipmartin

I wonder if it still has its GRS style interlocking machine? It was smaller than the usual GRS machine, and I heard, was imported from England. (I worked it a few times.)
Factoid: there was a WC tower in Perth Amboy, which was renamed Wood when Conrail came along.