• wasteof energy

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by SURGEAHOLIC

I drive near the Oceanside Coaster/Metrolink yard when I drive the I-5 to Disneyland ad I always notice the trainssitting there all lightson. Shouldn't they go to minimal power? No wonder fares go up.

by Jtgshu

they are probably cleaning the cars and have people working inside or on them. The lights could be shut off, but the lights don't take up THAT much energy, its the HVAC systems, which for the most part, stay on to keep the cars cool, because once they shut off, they get VERY hot, and it takes a LONG time for them to become cool again

by jz441

Most of the maintenance and repairs are done at night.

by DutchRailnut

Commuter car with spilled coffee and other food items and enough bacteria to start a small war are better kept at same temperature.
You kill heat in winter and toilets etc freeze , you kill AC and they smell like toilet on a tuna trawler, nothing better than leaving a commuter car with HVAC off in summer the toilet alone will kill ya nevermind the moldy smell of car itself. as for lights thats a drop in bucket for HEP.

by gprimr1

Is the engine running or are the cars just on?

If there's no engine or if the engine is off, then they are running on hotel power (cars can be plugged up to power from the station so they don't need the engine) then it's not that wasteful at all.

If your ever taking the vermonter or any train that switches engines, you can usually watch and you'll probally see the dongles for hotel power under the platform.