Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by BobLI

I remember in the late 60's early 70's that the MTA used to have crews who washed down the platforms late at night. It seems that practice has gone away because of cost cutting measures. I sure wish it would come back to select stations which now smell like restrooms which have not been cleaned. Am i mistaken that they no longer wash platforms like they used to? I no longer see wet platforms in the early AM.
  by Kamen Rider

Sounds like a serious slip and fall hazard.
  by Allan

They still wash platforms although it is done more during the day on weekends at selected stations (I saw this just recently on the Pelham line and also may be done during a FastTrack operation.
  by Allan

Just to add that the Hunts Point Av station platforms on the 6 were being washed down this morning (7/15/15) when I passed through at about 9:45 AM.
  by Kurt

The MTA still operates Mobile Wash Teams. They have trucks with a steam heated power washer in the back. They do a lot of the stations in Manhattan, usually around 1 to 3 in the Morning. That way everything is dry by the morning rush. It makes the stations almost unbearable during the hot summer months.