Railroad Forums 

• Was the original idea of the New York Westchester & Boston Electric Railroad to actually go to BOS?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1608945  by Kilgore Trout

If I remember correctly the original incarnation of the NYW&B, oddly enough, did not plan to, but after the NH took over there was a plan called the Westchester Northern Railway which would run north from White Plains to Brewster and Danbury.
 #1609265  by ExCon90

Without better access to Midtown and Lower Manhattan it didn't matter how well-built and -designed it was. I've sometimes wondered how far up in Westchester County someone would have had to live in order to spend more commuting time on the NYW&B than on the el to get all the way downtown.
 #1609299  by sextant

The world has changed.. White Plains is a a major commuting destination,,the cost of real estate is out of this world for mediaum to small buisness in Midtown Manhattan. The first ring and Newark and Hoboken NJ are the destinations now...Louis Rossman does a excelent job of explaing how he manages to run a small buisness in the NYC Manhhatten Real Esatate Market. - [[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup][/url] ===He exists to pay off his land loard exorbant amounts of rent with pennys left over for him and his family
 #1609338  by ExCon90

sextant wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:17 pm The world has changed.. White Plains is a a major commuting destination,,the cost of real estate is out of this world for mediaum to small buisness in Midtown Manhattan. The first ring and Newark and Hoboken NJ are the destinations now...
Pity nobody saw that coming in 1937, when there was no money to keep it going through the rest of the year, let alone into the next century ...
 #1609472  by ExCon90

True, but 1937 to 1942 is a long time when the money's all gone. A better case could probably be made that the line was vastly overbuilt to start with -- a four-track main line with puzzle switches for two-car expresses and locals and no good access to Manhattan. Right enough about Moses; I believe he wouldn't even allow buses on his parkways.
 #1609504  by Sir Ray

I believe you mean the parkways have limited clearance, especially the Southern (State) Parkway which along with the Meadowbrook, Wantagh, Robert Moses Causeway, etc. parkways serve the South Shore beaches as well as a number of state parks (e.g. Hecksher). The Northern State does as well, but North Shore LI beaches are kinda meh to begin with).
The LIE was designed to handle commercial truck traffic (and was build on Long Island starting in the 1950s), so it was build with sufficient clearance in mind. But again, the limited clearance on the parkways to the beaches pretty much ensure you need to get off the LIE, and take the slower arterials (South of Sunrise Highway there are no clearance issues to, say, Jones beach, which is how buses get down there nowadays).
Still, more convoluted that taking the Southern directly to the Wantagh Parkway south*.

*But not necessarily faster or easier - in fact I often need to take the arterials when the Southern (and Northern and LIE as well) get jammed packed sometime after 3:00PM on a Sunday with good weather.
 #1609699  by SST

Sir Ray wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:11 am I believe you mean the parkways have limited clearance, especially the Southern (State) Parkway which along with the Meadowbrook, Wantagh, Robert Moses Causeway, etc. parkways serve the South Shore beaches as well as a number of state parks (e.g. Hecksher). The Northern State does as well, but North Shore LI beaches are kinda meh to begin with).
The LIE was designed to handle commercial truck traffic (and was build on Long Island starting in the 1950s), so it was build with sufficient clearance in mind. But again, the limited clearance on the parkways to the beaches pretty much ensure you need to get off the LIE, and take the slower arterials (South of Sunrise Highway there are no clearance issues to, say, Jones beach, which is how buses get down there nowadays).
Still, more convoluted that taking the Southern directly to the Wantagh Parkway south*.

*But not necessarily faster or easier - in fact I often need to take the arterials when the Southern (and Northern and LIE as well) get jammed packed sometime after 3:00PM on a Sunday with good weather.
I lived down in Massapequa back in 1991. I worked TWA at JFK in the afternoon and I missed most of the rush traffic along the Southern unless there was an accident. I then worked for Continental Airlines in LGA. That was an amusing drive. Due to my skd I again missed rush hour traffic. I worked weekends so I missed beach traffic. I was amazed at the huge beach traffic jam on the LIE coming out of the Burroughs. From that moment on I liked working weekends. My shift didn’t end till midnight which made a nice ride home.
 #1610739  by s4ny

I do not think they ever planned to build to Boston. You could get to Boston by walking a few feet and changing trains in Port Chester.

The plan to build north from White Plains into CT was a different company that went bankrupt in the 1870s. That company may have actually laid some rails in Greenwich CT, and owned property in Bedford NY.