• WANTED: Vintage or Reproduction NH Travel Bags

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Noel Weaver

innervisions wrote:Anyone know how I could get my hands on one of these?

http://www.nhrhta.org/htdocs/images0402.htm
(highest up)

If you happen to have one in your collection, PM me.

If not, are there any other NH travel bags floating around there (original or replica)?

Thanks in advance!
The red bag was produced by the Branford Electric Railway Association for sale both at the museum and on sponsored trips as well. I was on the trip committee when we did this and we got permission from the New Haven Railroad to do this. When we asked the railroad for an OK, they asked us to order more than we originally intended to as they wanted a supply to sell as well. I don't think they were sold to employees specifically but to anybody with the dollars to buy them.
I sold my last one a couple of years ago as I had no real need for it and the gentleman who bought it saw it sitting at my table at a train show and wanted it. My guess is that it would probably be a rather rare item today.
I do not have any knowledge of the blue bag pictured.
Noel Weaver
  by fm

The red vinyl travel bags may have started out as an item to be sold as a fan trip souvenir but they were later sold directly by the NHRR too. Advertisements for the bags were printed in dining car and grill car menus during the 1967/1968 timeframe. I think the price was $5, postage included, and sales were handled by the New Haven Railroad Dining Car Department office in the Dover Street Yards in South Boston. The blue bags were made of cloth and were much smaller than the red bags. These were given away to children in NHRR diners and grill cars around 1960. They were made by a company that provided similar items to the airlines.