Railroad Forums 

• Walthers Amtrak Future Releases

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1245971  by B44NYC

By any chance, did anyone ask the Walthers reps at Amherst if there will be any future releases of the following:

Horizon passenger cars (Amtrak, NJ Transit, Metro North...etc.)
Budd Plated passenger cars (Amtrak coaches, sleepers, diners in Phase I, II, III)
Any Amtrak Phase I, II, or III passenger locomotives besides a F40PH or E8 (although a E8 in Phase II colors or a FL9 in Phase III would be nice)

Any info to share would be appreciated....
 #1246232  by Amtrak207

+1 what Backshophoss said.

There is a good probability, I am sure the Amfleet series will sell well. I bought a fleet of cars, as well as Kyle on this board. When you get your cars, prepare to be amazed. The window gasket detail is beyond what I have ever seen, they exceeded my expectations with these cars.

If you want re-tooled Horizon and Comet cars, NOW is the time to send e-mails to Walthers.

Hint: Walthers is aware that as far as the Amtrak models go, it isn't just a platinum mist finish that these cars came with along with the rest of their passenger equipment years ago. As it is more of a brushed light aluminum (almost a silvery-whitish color.)

Walthers also surprised me with the knowledge that with the Amtrak Phase IVb scheme, the cars received a clear coat, making them "less silvery". So they ARE doing their research already.

Walthers has really stepped up their game, I am beyond happy with the Amfleets. While their research is NO indication that they are committed to this project (Horizon / Comet), it only fuels the fire to let them know you want these cars produced.

Tom
 #1246677  by B44NYC

Definitely will get in Walthers ear for a retooled horizon cars.

I plan on getting quite a few Amfleets when more get released in the other phases, especially to go along with the new AEM-7

By the way, how do the new Amfleets run & any room to add red LED marker lights?

I have to assume down the road, a retooled Viewliner, Heritage Baggage and a new version of the Superliners is forth coming.

I hope they strike while the iron is hot....
 #1246795  by Amtrak207

Walthers seems to be "mum" on Viewliners. I imagine so but they may be waiting until the V-II's come out.

Walthers rep last year said the Superliner I and II will be run again under the Proto line. They will feature window gasket detail and prototypically correct tinted windows (brought up to Amfleet standards.) Thry said the Diner-Lounge/Cross country cafe 37000-series cars were an oversight as to why they didnt produce them. So maybe we will see those too.

So consider those retooled-retooled Superliners!

Walthers is also aware that there are more Amtrak modelers now than before, so that bodes well for us.

I did ask them about Metra gallery cars for HO Scale (fluted stainless), all they would budge on was that they were watching to see how well the Kato N scale ones sold. So take that for what you will as well. This convo led into the Amtrak model discussion and the Walthers rep stated "we haven't forgotten about Amtrak modelers, some things are in the works besides the Metroliner and Amfleet series." (I posted that on the Amfleet thread as well.)

So.... KEEP THE LETTER REQUESTS TO WALTHERS FOR AMTRAK MODELS COMING! :)

Tom
 #1246922  by ST214

What would be nice is a run of commuter cars, MBTA of course, with the correct colors!