Railroad Forums 

• Walthers Amtrak Amfleet Is "Retired"

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#842722  by Ken S.

Something I found interesting, Walthers no longer offers any cars to go with the Amtrak HEP Great Domes. I just thought of this when I decided to take my model of 10031 and Horizons for a spin with my Phase IV AMD-103.

I say this because the Domes are usually ran with single-level equipment. But now, there are no single-level cars to run with the domes.
 #860115  by mlrr

Jers2709 wrote:The only news I've heard from Walthers so far, is "stay tuned"
That's actually good news! At least better than what some have gotten already which is "No plans at this time".

I still encourage those who haven't done so to write in demonstrating your interest in these so that if there are newly tooled amfleets (from the ground up) the project doesn't get put on the back burner.

I speak optomistically with caution however. If the superliner upgrades are any indication, one could always expect Walthers to finish the amfleets with metal plating using the same shell they've been using for years while adding interiors and maybe improving the trucks.

However my confidence in Walthers to do really good work is strong.
 #866120  by Amtrak207

I agree, this is good news. But please still keep sending these requests in for the Amfleet I and II's. As much as I would like to see re-tooled Viewliners, I think that may be a ways off until Amtrak gets their Viewliner II order of Sleeping cars, Dining cars, Baggage-Dorms and Baggage cars. Unless they release a Viewliner I re-tooled Sleeper, followed by the V-II's. One can only hope!

But... if you want metal plated baggage cars, NOW IS THE TIME TO LET WALTHERS KNOW! With the release of their metal-plated Super Chief line, the 73' Budd Baggage car seems like a perfect candidate for this.

-Tom
 #872879  by Jers2709

Sent in the request yesterday, got this back:
"All of the Amfleet I items are retired. This means that they are not being produced at this time but they can be placed on backorder. If enough people place these items on backorder and show to be popular items, Walthers may consider bringing them back. They have not been discontinued at this time."
I asked about the chance of a retooled Amfleet:
"At this time, there is no indication that this would happen."
 #872890  by ApproachMedium

Now that I work with these cars up close and personal I can say firsthand that the Walthers model is horrible looking anyhow. The roof vents are too large, the profile is very wrong and the doors defiantly don't look right. I like the Bachmann model much better, while the trucks are a bit crude they do roll alot better. If walthers redid these cars they really should scrap them and start from the rails up. The superliners look like the exact same cars just now metalized painted.
 #875900  by mlrr

ApproachMedium wrote:Now that I work with these cars up close and personal I can say firsthand that the Walthers model is horrible looking anyhow. The roof vents are too large, the profile is very wrong and the doors defiantly don't look right. I like the Bachmann model much better, while the trucks are a bit crude they do roll alot better. If walthers redid these cars they really should scrap them and start from the rails up. The superliners look like the exact same cars just now metalized painted.
I agree with your observations. I feel the original SHELL of Bachmann's Amfleets were probably the MOST accurate (minus the absence of the MU receptacles on the bulkheads). I prefer Walthers' Amfleets because their paint is more accurate. I just can't seem to budge on the Bachmann versions. Bachmann's re-tooled amfleet looks less believable to me.

If Bachmann took the time to re-tool their Amfleet (which is less accurate than it's predecessor) I can't see why Walthers would spend the time re-tooling theirs. It would be great if they improved the tooling within the next two or three years and released them as their prototype counterparts won't be around for much longer at the rate Amtrak is putting out bids for new equipment.

Kyle
 #905347  by ApproachMedium

Crossing my fingers they do a total retooling on these things or I will be trading all of mine in for Bachmanns and repainting instead of buying any more of the walthers crap!
 #905621  by ajp31

Jers2709 wrote:They were saying the big holdup right now is the plating process, they're trying to figure out the right heat to use without melting the model shells.
Not surprising (that they'd be planning a plated release, I mean). I only hope that the "shells" themselves are completely re-tooled. Otherwise, what a waste.
 #905622  by Ken S.

ajp31 wrote:
Jers2709 wrote:They were saying the big holdup right now is the plating process, they're trying to figure out the right heat to use without melting the model shells.
Not surprising (that they'd be planning a plated release, I mean). I only hope that the "shells" themselves are completely re-tooled. Otherwise, what a waste.
Yeah, since the upcoming RDC run has the plated finish. Hopefully, I can get a good discount sometime down the road on one so I can compare the upcoming RDC to the last run of RDCs.
 #905635  by Dieter

The first generation kits had super-dinkey trucks. In the past two years, I purchased some of the RTR cars and Amfleet II coaches, and I think they're excessively overweight.

If more work was put into the wheels and trucks, weight wouldn't be so critical. Look at European equipment; tap it with your finger and it rolls four feet. Tap American stuff and it barely goes four inches. For some reason thirty years ago, someone sold the industry on weight which was nuts. All that does is burn out your engine. Hopefully the next generation of Amfleet gear will have less weight and better wheelsets.

D/
 #905802  by ApproachMedium

It seems like its not even really that heavy, same with my NJT cars. When they roll though, its like pulling a car that weights 10x as much. Athearn successfully made inboard bearing trucks that roll excellent for its Bombardier double deck passenger cars. I am going to try putting these trucks onto one of my amfleets or comets and see if it fits. If they do I will be putting in a big order with Athearn for these parts. I have had enough of their crappy trucks!
 #906240  by ajp31

Kato is advertising a new inboard-bearing truck design on their N scale Amfleet II models. Anybody know how it works and/or how it might be adaptable to HO?