Railroad Forums 

• W. Hempstead

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1577225  by Pensyfan19

According to an old NYAR map (which I saved to my phone in 2015), there is limited service to West Hempstead, but this is not represented in the current map. Did NYAR ever (or dies it still) serve any industries in West Hempstead?
 #1577234  by gregorygrice

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:32 pm According to an old NYAR map (which I saved to my phone in 2015), there is limited service to West Hempstead, but this is not represented in the current map. Did NYAR ever (or dies it still) serve any industries in West Hempstead?
No. The map basically showed "trackage rights".
 #1577321  by Teutobergerwald

I think there were two lumber yards on the West Hempstead Branch that NYA inherited from the LIRR in the 1997 takeover, and which were served up until 2007, if that long.
 #1577325  by krispy

There were two freight customers on the WH, Baisley (sp?) Lumber and a small team yard in WH station at the time of the NYA start-up. Except to qualify crews, don't think they used the yard and siding at WM and it was pulled in the '90s. They did service Baisley, and sometimes would leave part of their drag on the pocket on Montauk 1 at valley as they wouldn't fit in the siding. Baisley was just at the base of the elevated railway leading from Valley, but still was a pain to hit as it was still Manual block back then. So they hit mostly at night after the last scoot ran. Baisley was sold or bought up by Allied and they had no interest in using rail, so the switch came out pretty quickly after that.