• VRS Interchange

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by fogg1703

How does the interchange between VRS/PAS usually occur, is it "scheduled" or as needed? I've seen reports of RJ-1 and AD-1 in North Bennington but was curious if one crew's responsibility was the VRS and/or BKRR interchange?
  by Dick H

I believe the AD-1 runs up to North Bennington on Monday-Wednesday and Friday
and the RJ-1 makes that run on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, PAR/PAS does
not always make the connection in a timely manner and the VTR job runs back to
Rutland empty-handed. I assume (always dangerous to assume) that the BKRR is
serviced on the same schedule. The D&H(CP) also services the BKRR once a week
under a many decades old agreement. That agreement was probaly the only thing
that saved the BKRR from its demise in the 80s during the Guilford strikes.
  by fogg1703

Interesting. So AD-1 leaves the cars at North Adams for the next eastbound to ED and RJ-1 brings the cars west so they can be sent east to ED? Has there ever been a dedicated EDNB or RJNB train? I'm sure this was not an issue when the VRS brought the cars to Hoosick Jct as any eastbound could do the pickup. What about the slurry train of years past, did this include carload traffic as well?
  by Dick H

During the years that PAR/PAS ran a unit train of loaded slurry to Maine, the VTR used
to build the slurry train on the old Bennington Branch during the week and take it to
Hoosick Jct. on Fridays. I used to plan to be at North Bennington on Fridays, when
I was railfanning in Northeastern NY for the following weekend. As I recall, only the
slurry cars went to Hossick Jct. on Fridays, with PAR picking up the other traffic at
North Bennington the other days of the week, when they showed up.

I don't know if there have been any EDNB or RJNB symboled jobs. During the days of
the weekly loaded slurry unit train, PAR did not run a return unit train of the empty
slurry cars, rather handled them in regular trains. The loaded slurry trains were
sometimes given the symbol of NBWA North Bennington-Waterville. Here's a photo
of NBWA at Hoosick Falls in November 2011 by John (Cully) Cullinan.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20111 ... y&BOOL=ALL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by B&M 1227

AD-1 runs North Adams-North Bennington and return. AD-2 runs North Adams-Greenfield and return. If AD-1 gets a late start, they'll sometimes leave their train at Hoosick Junction when the crews time gets short. This train will get combined with the next RJED/MOED, however this is a fairly rare occurrence. Even when the east leg of the wye was out of service due to a derailment, and AD-1 had to pull into Eagle Bridge to run around their train, they never handled Batten Kill traffic. The majority of the BKRR traffic comes from, or is destined to the Midwest.

RJ-1 gets a start out of Rotterdam in the morning, stopping to pick up cars from the Batten Kill on its way to North Bennington. Sometimes RJ-1's crew runs out and must get recrewed by RJ-2 to bring the train back to Rotterdam. On Tuesday they made it to the Batten Kill around 4, and North Bennington at 530. Surprisingly the VTR crew stuck around to grab the train as they tend to bail if PAR hasn't shown up by 4ish.

CP's D44 runs to Eagle Bridge on Tuesday Thursday or Saturday nights. I've seen them show up at 4 in the afternoon, and 4 in the morning.