Railroad Forums 

• VRE and Amtrak Expansion set under $3.7 billion deal

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1536000  by mtuandrew

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:19 pm Alexandria can fit every car at the platform closest to the station building. Not sure about the platform closest to the Metro King Street Station.
The island looks like a six-car platform from my untrained eye watching from the Blue Line. (I rarely ride VRE from ALX, even more rarely Amtrak.)
 #1536010  by njtmnrrbuff

I'm going to be in Alexandria in May and plan to spend a few hours railfanning at the station. I have been there many times and have observed that eight car trains don't make the platform lengths at Alexandria. I have seen several eight car VRE trains. This will also help Amtrak trains, which many of them operate with at least eight cars. It will be great when the other Virginia Railway express stations on the Fredericksburg Line have platforms on both sides. That will probably help provide more flexibility with railroad movements.
 #1536120  by mtuandrew

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:27 am I'm going to be in Alexandria in May and plan to spend a few hours railfanning at the station. I have been there many times and have observed that eight car trains don't make the platform lengths at Alexandria. I have seen several eight car VRE trains. This will also help Amtrak trains, which many of them operate with at least eight cars. It will be great when the other Virginia Railway express stations on the Fredericksburg Line have platforms on both sides. That will probably help provide more flexibility with railroad movements.
Can recommend the views from the Duke Street bridge and the GW Masonic Memorial lawn, and also recommend going down to Van Dorn Street Yard to check out the NS power parked there. Hit up me or JDC if you want further recommendations on food and lodging!
 #1536248  by KTHW

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:17 pm VRE's Gallery Cars can only let off and pick up people at high level platforms while Amfleets can do that at both. I'm sure that the VRE train stations will remain low level for a long time. The Gallery Cars aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
I believe you mean low level platforms only for the gallery cars. On a related note (with potential run through coming) can the MARC II, III, and IV all service both high and low level platforms?
 #1536287  by Sand Box John

KTHW
On a related note (with potential run through coming) can the MARC II, III, and IV all service both high and low level platforms?

Based on these pictures of said types, yes.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1536298  by STrRedWolf

KTHW wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:11 pm
njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:17 pm VRE's Gallery Cars can only let off and pick up people at high level platforms while Amfleets can do that at both. I'm sure that the VRE train stations will remain low level for a long time. The Gallery Cars aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
I believe you mean low level platforms only for the gallery cars. On a related note (with potential run through coming) can the MARC II, III, and IV all service both high and low level platforms?
Yes, they can at the ends. They have traps on them for high and low level. You *will* need a wheelchair lift on the lower platform ones, though.