Railroad Forums 

• Volume 2, Mike Bednar book?

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

LV

#14799  by WNYRailfan

Okay, let me correct myself. The western end of the LV was built late. I am talking about the fact that it did not reach Buffalo until 1892. I know other sections were complete in 1846.

WNYRailfan

#14818  by Otto Vondrak

I did not delete any posts from this thread... just a friendly warning to keep things friendly, okay friends?

- Brother Otto

#14846  by Mr Lehigh

Ok, but I'm still trying to figure out what pick has against this guy and his books. I haven't heard anything negative from anyone else.

#14954  by Tamping Pick

Well ,OK, I take a few things for granted here.
But Mike and his brother,(which I believe more) These guys are both
post-'60's guys on the LV. It's easy to out bid people for picture collections and to take those captions to and make them sound like what ever.
And(owners) if there dead and gone. Who would dispute this.Now don't get me wrong , Mikes books give a great look into LV life and some of the ops. and people. But he got this from,at least I feel from watching the obituaries in the paper. No, I dont like him much,this is a "me" thing , and sorry to offend others. Yep, I slam Mike Bednar. His books are good.
But I won't buy them.
PICK

#14985  by Mr Lehigh

Thanks for the background!

#15216  by RBMN-ENGR.

Once again more wrong information has been posted concerning Mike Bednar and his LV books.
Mike hired on the LV in 1966 as a towerman and freight agent and later yardmaster. He worked every tower, station and yard between New Market, NJ and Penn Haven Jct., PA. He had 10 years on the LV (actually more, he rode with the crews since he was a kid!) and 15 with Conrail. He has worked for the RBM&N since 1991.
With the exception of the chapters that cover the New York State areas, the vast majority of the photos were taken by Mike himself or by close friends. The vast majority of LV employees pictured, still living or deceased, knew Mike personally as well. If you want to read about the employees and operations of the LV during it's last 20 years of existance, there are no better books than these. This is, of course, my opinion. All I know is I never tire of looking through these books. When I read through them, I'm sorry I wasn't born about 15 or 20 years earlier so I could have experienced in person the LV and all those great guys who worked there. At least we have these books now!

Mr. Lehigh:
Don't let the opinions of one person who has a personal problem with Mike deprive you of a great publication.

Moderator:
Is it necessary to have these negative posts be allowed here? I have been guilty on occasion of this in the past and I am sorry for that. I just get a little mad when I read bad or false posts about my friends and co-workers.
See the R&N forum for more examples.

#15322  by bwparker1

I would concur with RBMN-ENGR, that I find myself flipping through both books even after I have read them cover to cover. They are great volumes, esp. for those of us looking for coverage of the LV in Western NY. I missed the Valley too (born in '78) but Mike's books help you to see what it once was.

Brooks
 #15334  by Keith Bednar

Well Mr. Pick; I do feel that when someone makes totally false statements about someone he should at least know the people. I can tell by your statements you do not know Mike, Keith or Dan. We do not buy peoples collections. I and only I have gone to auctions and purchased items that I was the highest bidder on.I also buy on Ebay with the user name roseracing. I or my 2 brothers have NEVER picked the graves of people. Tell us the truth. You are just a bored person that likes to stir people up. :( :( :( I can tell you however that when I have the honor of meeting you, you WILL know who the excitable brother is. Mike is a gentle giant. I am not so gentle. :P :P So you can hide behind the anonymity of the computer and throw all the trash you want but I , and I believe everyone else on this forum knows what kind of a person you are. :wink:
 #15413  by CAR_FLOATER

Ya know, I wasn't gonna post a reply to continue adding fuel to the fire, but since one of the Bednars' felt it important enough to comment, I WILL add my two cents.
When the first book came out, I immediately made it part of my library, and it has since become one of my more cherished books. Why? well, not only does it cover the part of the LV I model and also find interesting, but it contains photos of my friend Fred Wilczewski, and his late father Ben, two ex-employees, and this is why I write this.
Tamping Picks' post of "robbing the dead" was pure B.S., as Fred has been one of the the most generous people I have met over the internet, and that has gone out of his way to help answer my questions, and has shared photos from his and his father's personal collection with me. Oh, and by the way, we've never met face to face.
OK, so you say, "What does this have to do with Mike B. and T. Pick?"
Well, it has to do with the fact that Mike not only used some of Fred and Ben's pics, but also had photos of them "on the job", too, and in personal correspondance with me, Fred said, and I quote, "Mike is a great guy, first class....(He) would give the shirt off his back to you".
Now before I continue any further, let it be said that I DO NOT KNOW MIKE BEDNAR OR HIS BROTHERS.
I have no reason to defend him or them, other than that he has put together two real nice books, and I am thankful.
So while I feel this has to stop now, (the fact that this thread has gone WAY off topic is reason enough) I want bring two more things to light.
Keith, your coment about Tamping Pick and Ebay......I agree, T. Pick (or whatever your name really is) sounds like he has lost one too many Ebay auctions, and is a mite bit bitter. Trust me, I know the signs, I've met enough people like this. I have also met some great people on account of losing an auction myself......Fred Wilczewski being one of them!.......It's amazing how chosing the right words goes a long way.
And Tamp, Pick, whatever......I know you "tried" to make amends with your post explaining yourself, but it was a little too late.....Yeah, I know we're all guilty of hitting the send button BEFORE using our heads, but you seem a little more "trigger happy " than most, from some of your previous comments in others posts, but that's just my "worthless' opinion.
And last, Otto, I am sorry I added one last post to this ugly thread.....I don't know if you have gotten e-mails off list regarding T. Pick or not, (and am wondering if I should have done so or not), but I think I have some "backup" here in the LV community by asking for some sort of diciplinary action to be taken against him.
Scotty has done a great job moderating since the new version of Railroad.net has gone active, and once more for the record, I DO NOT KNOW SCOTTYCHAOS EITHER. Just though you should know......

OK, I am going to try to get some sleep now........

Ralph Heiss
S. Plainfield ,NJ

AKA CAR FLOATER

#15431  by scottychaos

well, I guess I found out a lot more about that book! ;)
(still havent actually found THE book yet though..I was hoping to be able to order it through B&N because I have $50 in gift cards with them!
but I should just give in and buy it somewhere else..)

yes, I think everyone has had their say on this topic, so please lets all let this go now..
thanks,
Scot
 #15451  by Keith Bednar

Hey Car Floater; No more fuel on the fire here,just a thought about the Wilczewski family. The whole Bednar clan knows Fred and his family well. I remember when Fred would come to my parents house in Hokendauqua many years ago and Fred and Mike, Danny, and our father JOE would go out taking pictures. They spent days together looking for that special shot of their favorite railroad subject.We shared many meals around the Bednar table. Fred's wife was very patient, and his 2 boys loved chasing trains. I think they were only 5 or 6years old at the time. My father Joe would love to see Fred's kids comming in the door so he could give them his friendly "WILCZEWSKI" shout. Ben Wilczewski was a GREAT person and I met him for the first time at Oak Island way back in 1969. He was very helpful to a new guy in Oak Island yard. Just a special kind of a man. Fred's apple did not fall to far from Ben's tree. He too is a great person. And this is my point about the LVRR people. They all pitched in and helped each other. Yes you had your jerks there just like any other place but the good ones by far out numbered the bad. The people are why Mike's book was written. I know it is his tribute to all the fine people that once worked on the LV, or any other railroad for that matter. So when you read Mike's book I can assure you that the pictures only tell a small part of the story. You just can't get the smell of a kerosene lamp, a 100 year old station, the exhaust sound of a mighty ALCO,,,,,, well you know what I am talking about.It is sad to see that all those people were replaced by silver boxes along the right of way. :( :( :( Take er easy. :wink:

#15502  by Andyt293

Is Fred retired now? If so, what RR did he retire from and when?
 #15917  by Keith Bednar

Fred is not retired. He works mostly on the signal systems for NJT, but he is now working for himself. His two boys are all grown up now and they too work for New Jersey's passenger carrier, NJT. Take er easy Keith Bednar

#15947  by Mr Lehigh

I'll probably pick up the book regardless. I'm more interested in the content and the pictures than to worry about where they came from. Now if only I can find that book!
 #16120  by superc

I have had the pleasure of knowing many of the men who have worked the L&S over the years, including some very dear friends who still do.

There is a brotherhood that is easy to understand once you know these folks.

I trust the opinions of these firends, and Mike is held in the highest regard. One of the biggest kicks I get out of looking at Mike's books with current railroaders is to see pics of guys I know in their younger days, or to hear stories about who is running and who is retired now.

I enjoy all of Mike's work in TRP. It is great to have a railroader willing to write about their job in a such an enthusiastic manner.

Super

PS: And autoracks ran up the L&S last week. Is that first?