• Virgin Rail - Brightline Expansion Opportunities

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

by conductorchris

The 3-C line in Ohio is one of the busiest travel markets in the midwest.

I recall a Trains Magazine article that overlaid a map of France onto a map of Ohio and talked about how very similar France is to Ohio in terms of population totals and population density. Point being that if the TGV is a success in France, it should be in Ohio as well.

It is true that demographics and economics in Ohio are those of a rust belt problem and not a sun belt growth story. But maybe they need a train to change it?

If I were waving the magic wand I'd build (in phases) a line from Chicago - Indianapolis - Cincinnati - Columbus - Cleveland. With a trackage rights deal over Indianapolis & Louisville. That's all major travel corridors with plenty of possible highway and former rail right of ways to start from. I suspect that the low value of land in those areas means there is money to be made by bringing in the rail.

Christopher
  by mtuandrew

I don’t think it’s the population difference between France and Ohio, Chris, I think it’s the relative wealth and the extant car culture. If Ohio were its own country, it would have more coal + hydro + wind + natural gas reserves and less petroleum than places like Texas or the Dakotas, and might then pursue a national electric rail program.

Also keep in mind that France and Japan funded TGV and Shinkansen respectively as national priorities in war-disrupted areas. They didn’t make a private company build the lines on its own.

(Also Paris has a population of 2 million with 12 1/2 million in its metro area. Cleveland is 384k/2.1m city and metro; Columbus, 893k/2.1m; Cincinnati, 303k/2.1m.)