Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#63191  by BenH

Does anyone have any idea (a guess would be OK too) which lines these trains are going to operate on? I'd love to ride one or more, but I don't have enough experience (or time) to run all over the city trying to find them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
from the MTA web site...
Thursday and Friday, October 28 and 29, 2004 during non-rush hours
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN!
NEW YORK TRANSIT MUSEUM VINTAGE TRAIN RIDES
To thank the riding public, we will be running vintage cars throughout the system. Trains will operate in regular passenger service on different lines. With a little bit of luck, and perfect timing, you'll be able to get to your destination on a vintage subway car for the regular price of a ride!

Source: http://www.mta.info/nyct/cen/events.htm

#63216  by Allan

There is no advance information. In fact some MTA employees who are railfans and post on some of the other boards have been warned not to give out any information.

You are just going to have to take your chances.

#63371  by Robert Paniagua

That's right, folks will have to get them on their own. I, However was lucky back in 1989 when I immediately got an R10 consist from 81st till 145th on the old C line alignment, and that was a nice surprise to catch one of those during their last days on the road.

#63393  by mncommuter

Well, if there's no hard information, can anyone speculate, based on known equipment available, which lines one might be more likely to see some vintage equipment in service? (I'm talking pre-1960s, preferably pre-1920s)

Given the choice of hanging out at the following stations:
1. 42 St. station on the 6th Ave B-D-F-V line
2. Times Sq. station 1-2-3-9 platform
3. Times Sq. station N-R platform
4. 42 St. A-C-E
5. Grand Central 4-5-6 platform
6. Grand Central 7 platform

I work in midtown, and plan to hang out at one of these stations during my lunch hour Thurs and Fri. Can anyone make an educated guess where I might find the oldest equipment?

If I see something, I promise to share some pictures on the boards!

Thanks!