Railroad Forums 

• Vintage rapid transit maps

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#751109  by diburning

MBTA3247 wrote:Service on the A line was discontinued in 1969 due to a self-induced car shortage (the T was in the habit of scrapping cars that needed major repairs back then). An act of the state legislature (sponsored by whoever represented Newton) forced the T to finally abandon the line in 1994, with track removal occurring in the late '90s. In between, the T kept the line maintained enough so that cars could access Watertown Carhouse, which was still used for some maintenance. At various times, several of the Boeing LRVs were equipped with trolley poles so they could drag other LRVs to Watertown.
The carhouse still stands and there are trolley wires going into the stalls for the temporary storage of the trackless trolleys (trolley buses). The bus route 57 was a "temporary" solution to the problem and it still runs on the original A-line route today. If you look at Oak Square, there is a big green island in the middle of the square. There used to be a loop at Oak Square for short turn cars and where the YMCA is now, was the Oak Square car barn. The new Dunkin Donuts across the street from the YMCA decided to pay tribute to the heritage of the area and put up old photos of the car barn, the A line, as well as various trolleys that have been used on that line (check it out!)
 #751114  by 3rdrail

diburning wrote: The new Dunkin Donuts across the street from the YMCA decided to pay tribute to the heritage of the area and put up old photos of the car barn, the A line, as well as various trolleys that have been used on that line (check it out!)
That's a nice touch. Reminds me of a discussion that we recently had about the fact that nobody commemorated Forest Hills' 100th. I'd go out of my way to patronize that Dunkies, which I intend to do. If any of you go also, make a point of remarking to the manager that you appreciate it and that you are there because of their tribute to the trolleys. :-D
 #751202  by danib62

MBTA3247 wrote: At various times, several of the Boeing LRVs were equipped with trolley poles so they could drag other LRVs to Watertown.
If by several you mean 2 then I totally agree with you.
 #751214  by sery2831

More than 2 LRVs were pole equipped... But WAY off topic! 3417 was the last LRV to have poles.
 #751277  by RailBus63

3400 and 3402 were the original two pole-equipped Boeing LRV's. After one or both of these cars were removed from service, several other cars were equipped with poles including 3417, but I'm not sure if there were ever more than two of these cars in service at any one time.
 #751359  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Speaking of vintage/not-so-vintage transit maps, there's one on the wall at North Station Green Line outbound showing all of the "temporarily suspended" individual Arborway stops, and the Forest Hills OL transfer. Same as the old bolt-on ones at Hynes, Park, GC, and other occasional spots where the line is white with green outline, except this map is a 2004-vintage new one, poster-behind-glass. Exact replica of the '90-91 circa bolt-ons, but it's even in the slightly newer font they've been using the last several years. Amusing. Hope they skip that station on the map swap-outs since the ones there are already so new. This one would be a real gas if it lasts awhile.
 #751538  by diburning

3rdrail wrote:
diburning wrote: The new Dunkin Donuts across the street from the YMCA decided to pay tribute to the heritage of the area and put up old photos of the car barn, the A line, as well as various trolleys that have been used on that line (check it out!)
That's a nice touch. Reminds me of a discussion that we recently had about the fact that nobody commemorated Forest Hills' 100th. I'd go out of my way to patronize that Dunkies, which I intend to do. If any of you go also, make a point of remarking to the manager that you appreciate it and that you are there because of their tribute to the trolleys. :-D
Let me know when you come on by. I live a walking distance from there :-D
 #751558  by 3rdrail

OK - will do.
 #757175  by Carfare

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:this map is a 2004-vintage new one, poster-behind-glass. Exact replica of the '90-91 circa bolt-ons, but it's even in the slightly newer font they've been using the last several years.
I was intrigued by this, & went looking shortly after the post. The only maps I saw were the 20 year old ones, with the plastic (glass?) covering over them without the newer inserts inside the plastic.
 #1289125  by DaveCantor

3rdrail wrote:Not maps per se, but I thought that you might enjoy these three metal order of station signs from the three lines in my collection;

1954 Revere Extension (Blue Line):
... oad009.jpg

1928 Cambridge-Dorchester Line (Red Line):
... d007-2.jpg

1919 Main Line (Orange Line):
... oad010.jpg

Pity that the order of station photos that 3rdrail posted don't link to anything now.
Does anyone have scans of them?
 #1578582  by ThinkNarrow

Great trip down memory lane; thanks! The more complete use of Boylston station, the one-way use of Adams, and the complexity of the North Station area brought special memories, along with trackless trolleys all over the place. :-D
 #1578589  by The EGE

What a fantastic scan - thank you! There's a couple of curious anachronisms in the map: Science Park station is still listed as "opening 1955" rather than being shown as open, and the June 1956 cutback of route 43 to Lenox Street isn't shown.