Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by R36 Combine Coach

MNCR press release (4/23/12)
The historic 1890 train station building in the heart of Port Chester's downtown is about to get a new tenant – a food hall and beer garden by the popular Heartland Brewery.

MTA Metro-North Railroad announced its plans today to lease the 5,630-square-foot station building.

"This restaurant will be a positive addition to the village's downtown business district and will provide economic vitality to the area around the train station seven days a week from morning to night," said Metro-North President Howard Permut. "This arrangement is consistent with Metro-North's ongoing efforts to operate more efficiently and to provide better customer service. It will provide cost savings to Metro-North and improve service to our customers by making the station available to them for shelter, restrooms and coffee service." "This project is very exciting for me as I'm both a restaurateur and avid gardener. Designing a restaurant in this historic building and working with a designer and a landscape architect together on the food hall and beer garden is something I have always wanted," said Jon Bloostein, founder and CEO of Heartland Brewery.

"As a tribute to the locale, the restaurant will be named Port Chester Hall. It will offer a diverse menu and a full bar featuring a special selection of beers locally brewed in New York State. We will preserve the existing mosaic and stone floor and include the oak benches in our furniture plan. The landscaped outdoor area will be approximately 3,600 square feet," Bloostein added.
Opening is slated for June 2013 and will include a weekday AM coffee concession.
  by DutchRailnut

hmm somehow it does not seem like a god Idea to mix alcohol and railroading, how come I feel this may bite MNCR (MTA) in the ass.
  by Rbts Stn

DutchRailnut wrote:hmm somehow it does not seem like a god Idea to mix alcohol and railroading, how come I feel this may bite MNCR (MTA) in the ass.
You're right, they shouldn't have restaurants that serve liquor in depots.

:(
  by Jeff Smith

Oh come on, really? By that logic, there should be no bars where there ISN'T a railroad station as you'd have to drive to get to them. Or drink at home.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. It's a great use of an old station, just like Mamaroneck.
  by truck6018

Rbts Stn wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:hmm somehow it does not seem like a god Idea to mix alcohol and railroading, how come I feel this may bite MNCR (MTA) in the ass.
You're right, they shouldn't have restaurants that serve liquor in depots.

:(
If that's the case then there shouldn't be Michael Jordans, Campbell Apartment or any other restaurants in GCT and Metro North should shut down it's bar carts in the terminal and bar cars on the trains.
  by DutchRailnut

Those restaurants are not located next to a fairly high speed track and do not atract kids with their prices.
  by theozno

I go up to Southport to get the brewery there. I am looking forward to this in hopes that they have a 6 sample glass craft brew.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

How is this any different from any train stop that has a neighborhood bar across the street? Or somebody getting off at their stop after a few in the bar car? I mean, really...it's not like there's an FRA alcohol exclusion zone for X blocks around train tracks. Besides, microbrews cater to a slightly more upscale crowd than your typical wino or liquor store patron.
  by Patrick A.

By this logic I guess we should ban bars in NYC within a block of a subway stop :wink: In all seriousness though I don't quite see what the problem is, sounds like a good use of the station building, get some tax revenue for the town.
  by TCurtin

Good God, we sure do have a bunch of "drys" on this forum!!! Where does all this anti-drinking sentiment come from?
  by Jeff Smith

DutchRailnut wrote:Those restaurants are not located next to a fairly high speed track and do not atract kids with their prices.
Drunk staggering in the ROW vs. drunk staggering in the street? I'm sorry, I don't see the difference.
  by freightguy

Worse on the otherside a the LIRR plans to ban drinking on the trains overnight Fri and Sat 12am to 5am. I find the passengers in the bar car the most relaxed and 99% cosuming in a responsible manner. One of the few areas where the railroads can make some revenue during the week. Long Island has a lot more issues with the availability of numerous stands in Penn selling alcohol. IMHO, I do not think everyone should be punished due to the actions of a few....
  by kitn1mcc

sounds like a fun spot to me.

look at the old saybrook train station they have a few bars in it
  by DutchRailnut

Jeff Smith wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Those restaurants are not located next to a fairly high speed track and do not atract kids with their prices.
Drunk staggering in the ROW vs. drunk staggering in the street? I'm sorry, I don't see the difference.
automobiles are way easier to stop......................
  by Otto Vondrak

Rbts Stn wrote:You're right, they shouldn't have restaurants that serve liquor in depots.
Dumbest statement I have read on this forum in the last five years since I met daylight4449.

I for one am looking forward to this development... If we can't save the function of the train station, at least we save the building.

-otto-