Railroad Forums 

• ANNOUNCEMENT! Users with Zero Posts to be Pruned

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#961111  by Lawrence Crossing

I maintain several phpBB sites and have unfortunately had to learn to recognize spammer log-ins and see many, many in this member list. Is registration approved by the admin? If so, they can be nipped in the bud. That said, I don't know how many this board gets every day. An unpleasant job any way you cut it!
 #961145  by gprimr1

Lawrence Crossing wrote:I maintain several phpBB sites and have unfortunately had to learn to recognize spammer log-ins and see many, many in this member list. Is registration approved by the admin? If so, they can be nipped in the bud. That said, I don't know how many this board gets every day. An unpleasant job any way you cut it!
Registration is open, but users first few posts require moderator approval.

I would say though to those who have posted here to get 1 post, feel free to contribute. We would love to hear from you.
 #961248  by Lawrence Crossing

Jeff, I would guess that the viability of admin-approved registrations would depend on how many registration attempts come in each day. This is a huge board, so it wouldn't be surprising if the amount was unmanageable. I've advised potential registrants to avoid log-in names that resemble typical spammer ones and given examples. That helps to prevent accidental nuking of legitimate applicants, but I have no experience with a board of this scale. One way or another, you all have done a fine job!
 #961285  by Jeff Smith

Lawrence, thanks for the tips! Yeah, I already check the birthday listings. Registrations number 200-300 a day. However, most of those must be "bots". I check the inactive list once a day, can tell most are spam, and blast them. I don't think I've ever gotten a complaint. The genuine registrations usually click the verification link right away.

I kind of play the rest of the spam fight close to the vest, but I've gotten used to styles and can week them out. The moderation of new users helps. It's the users who register, verify, and never post with the back-link signatures I'm going after, plus those that my moderators disapprove right away (they post, but never get on the board).

To all: I'm going to postpone this until October, when things are slower for me. I plan on making a few tweaks then. But until then, I appreciate all those who posted to get their "1", those that checked in, and the tips and advice. Thanks!

Jeff