Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#954734  by Dylanchris73

I got on a Queens bound G train at Broadway the other day and I couldn't believe the condition the station is in. It's bad. I noticed some of the other stations are in pretty bad shape, too. Any plans to rehab them? They REALLY need it.
 #955061  by Allan

Dylanchris73 wrote:I got on a Queens bound G train at Broadway the other day and I couldn't believe the condition the station is in. It's bad. I noticed some of the other stations are in pretty bad shape, too. Any plans to rehab them? They REALLY need it.
At the present time there are no definitive plans for rehabs on the G other than the ones in progress (Smith-9th Sts and 4th Av. The MTA tends to treat the G as a step-child and has made a couple of attempts in the to actually shut the line down. The latest was the cut-back of the line from 71st St-Forest Hills to Court St using the excuse that the Queens Blvd line is at capacity and can't handle the extra trains. What has stopped them is the increase in usage on the G and a lot of political pressure.

Just a note: I am sure you are aware of the "BRODAWAY" tiles on the northbound side about mid-platform. This was an error done before the station opened in 1937. No one knows if this was done accidentally and never noticed or never fixed or done on purpose by whoever was installing those individual tiles. Also in the same area but on the pillars between the tracks there is an old slightly faded "Subway Sun" poster dating back to the mid-1940's. This station is a bit of a railfan favorite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Broad ... sstown.jpg