Railroad Forums 

• Framingham/Worcester Line Questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1434291  by dbperry

We did a podcast on Auburndale, if you really want to listen to me talk more about it. But I also had a chance to discuss broader issues such as the second track through Beacon Park & the Worcester Working Group. And we're always looking for a way to discuss and advance the vision of a regional rail network.

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/transp ... leblowers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Codcast: Auburndale whistleblowers

Today’s Codcast features the TransitMatters guys who put the brakes on an $11 million MBTA redesign of the Auburndale commuter rail station that was going to improve handicap accessibility but result in poorer service on the Framingham-Worcester Line.
Do I have to add "Auburndale Whistleblower" to my signature?
 #1434329  by harshaw

I don't think the average rider really cares if they get a seat or a prompt ride.
LOL (sorry). So, go to another rail system. The one's I have been on recently have been Coaster in Socal and the line through Silicon Valley. This is your train experience:

1) The train comes. It's the same looking train as the day before.
2) You get on the train. Maybe you have a favorite location to get on the train, but it's the same train.

On the MBTA your choices are:

1) Rotem or Kawaski cars with decent seats
2) the flat with the two seat plasticy painful seats from hell (MBB I thinK)
3) The flats with the 3/2 seats with the half height seat at the end.
4) The flat sets with the rebuilt seats that look like a Rotem or Kawaski car.

As a rider, 2 or 3 usually stink, unless the seats in 3) have been refurbished.

So, yeah, we care.

And, as a rider you tend to learn where to stand for where to get on the car. So, if the trains are a complete jumble this means that you end up always having to move when the train comes. Which increases the dwell time.

Oh, maybe you want to sit at with a desk to get some work done? Then you look for the doubles.
Oh - did you want power to use your laptop? HAHAHA. Well, it depends on the coach. Most Rotems have power somewhere. Some Kawasaki's have power in the doubles near the chair (but it's not consistent). There are a couple of different builds of the Kawasaki's and they are slightly different. OR maybe you got the ones that were just rebuilt from Allstom? that probably has power.

etc etc etc.
 #1434503  by octr202

Think people care what's on their commute each day? Check out the ultimate in insider info, which Virginia Railway Express has posted for several years. Of course it's much easier done on a very small system:

http://www.vre.org/service/rider/consist/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1435555  by leviramsey

So I was riding the B&A for the first time today in a couple of years, on P512 (apologies, Dave, for missing a single in my tweet of the makeup of P512, though I do think that any instances of 4 flat + 1 bilevel on the B&A call for a "Fitchburg set that took a wrong turn in Ayer" crack). It does seem that the southside sets are a bit more erratic in their makeup than the northside sets (where 4 flat + 1 bilevel is the norm and it seems that the vast majority of the northside sets will put a non-cab bilevel right behind the locomotive and a cab bilevel on the front... I could generally count on getting a bilevel by being on the mini-high).

One thing of interest was that a very-delayed P512 held for a few minutes at CP11 to "wait for an outbound" (P511), though we continued on through the Newtons and met P511 at the interlocking west of Yawkey (CP4?). I didn't really note the time and how delayed P512 (which had very heavy ridership for, I'm guessing, the tall ships with lots of families on board) was, but either way that was a potentially very long hold for either P511 or P512 and underscores the need for an interlocking (maybe CP7?) between Newtonville and Boston Landing.
 #1435855  by dbperry

leviramsey wrote:One thing of interest was that a very-delayed P512 held for a few minutes at CP11 to "wait for an outbound" (P511), though we continued on through the Newtons and met P511 at the interlocking west of Yawkey (CP4?). I didn't really note the time and how delayed P512 (which had very heavy ridership for, I'm guessing, the tall ships with lots of families on board) was, but either way that was a potentially very long hold for either P511 or P512 and underscores the need for an interlocking (maybe CP7?) between Newtonville and Boston Landing.
You were most likely a victim of the occasional single tracking they are implementing between CP 11 (Weston) and CP 3 (west of Yawkey) while they build the new CP 6 interlocking. After the AM rush hour, they have been taking track 2 out of service on that stretch...to build the interlocking that is replacing CP 4...to prevent the need to have long stretches of single track in the future...so your delay was for exactly the reason you asked for!
 #1436125  by dbperry

New blog post:

http://framwormbta.weebly.com/blog/fina ... 7-schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Analysis Of New 5/22/2017 Schedule

Explores a number of topics related to this new schedule:

1) Worcester Line Working Group (recap)
2) Why are all AM trains late on this new schedule?
3) Results of the public comment process on draft schedule
 #1438992  by dbperry

The final speed restriction related to the tie replacement / railbed resurfacing projects of the last few years has finally been removed. As of 5 PM Monday, the 30 mph speed restriction from mile 4.1 to 4.4 on track 2 has been lifted.

There are 'permanent' timetable speed limits that are still in effect:
Track 1 - from just west of CP 3 all the way through Boston Landing, 30 mph. That is the new "2nd track" through Beacon Park, where it goes up over a hill and around the corner towards Boston Landing. Speculation is that the hill and curvature are the reasons for the speed limit. Unclear if that will ever change.
Track 2 - Immediately around and through Boston Landing, 30 mph. This only affects the express trains, since the locals are stopping at the station. Unclear if this will ever change.

For the present moment, there are no speed restrictions on Framingham-Worcester for passenger trains. And the tie replacement / railbed resurfacing jobs are all complete! Hooray!

Intervale Road bridge in Weston has a noticeable track offset / irregularity, so probably only a matter of time before a speed restriction goes back into effect there. Some engineers are slowing down for it on their own. That bridge is scheduled for replacement within the next year.
 #1439445  by QB 52.32

dbperry wrote:

For the present moment, there are no speed restrictions on Framingham-Worcester for passenger trains. And the tie replacement / railbed resurfacing jobs are all complete! Hooray!
Does this mean the confusing inbound/outbound 1430-1930 track "flip" as far west as Framingham, as I understand it, will end? If not, what's the reason "outbound" westbound trains operate on track 2 during the evening rush hour?
 #1439447  by johnpbarlow

Doubt it. I believe the track flip is done during the outbound commute because the only means of mass egress from an evening outbound rush hour train on track 1 at both Wellesley Hills and W Natick stations would be to cross busy track 2 - a dangerous situation for a commuter listening to ear buds or texting...
 #1439452  by QB 52.32

Thanks for your answer Mr. Barlow. Last I knew, isn't there an operating rule that no train can enter those stations while another train is already in the station (protecting dis/embarking passengers crossing tracks)?
 #1439529  by QB 52.32

Thanks, Trinnau. I wonder why the resumption to normal track operation doesn't occur until Ashland and not at Framingham given that outbound rush hour trains could cross over at CP-21 to track 1?
 #1439531  by nomis

You have either CP22 or CP24 for trains to swap tracks, at CP21 only you have just one interlocking to schedule all of your meets around. CP22 is the preferred based on speed of crossovers and speed into & out of Framingham.
 #1439537  by QB 52.32

As I recall, westbound authorized speed for both track #1 and 2 drops to 30 at milepost 20.9, CP-21 is at 21.3, Framingham station 21.4...are the crossovers at CP-21 15 m.p.h.? I would think they'd be good for 30. Using CP-22 or CP-24 assures that what appears to be 5 scheduled meets in the Framingham area during the outbound rush hour don't potentially affect Framingham time-keeping, however, with the recent station improvements putting the bulk of parking on the north side I would think the majority of outbound rush hour passengers would benefit from disembarking on the outbound track 1 platform. Additionally, it appears there are 3 trainsets that turn at Framingham during the outbound peak but it seems like that would be a net wash in terms of requirements for crossing over at CP-22 when utilized for the turn.