Railroad Forums 

• Highlighting text

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#907611  by Leo_Ames

How come this doesn't work right? For example if you're replying to specific part of someone's post and you quote it, you can't seem to highlight more than a letter or two at a time so you're stuck using backspace to trim the quote down to just the relevant portion. At every other message board I've ever gone to, you can just highlight the text you want to get rid of (Or copy to paste somewhere else, etc.) by right clicking on your mouse, highlighting what you want, and pressing backspace once to delete it.

I thought it was my mouse being buggy since it's been giving me problems lately and I hadn't gotten behind the computer to plug in a new one. But I did that today and just noticed the same issue with a brand new mouse that works fine everywhere else I visit. So it's not a problem on my end.

It doesn't happen at other forums, including ones that use this same software. It's very annoying when you're trying to revise something you wrote, trimming down a quotation, etc.
 #930320  by TSTOM

I'm having the EXACT same problem(s) as Leo.

I'm unable to highlite a poster's text, copy and paste within my reply NOR able to BOLD, ITALISIZE, UNDERLINE.

Please advise on a solution - thanks.
 #930323  by scotty269

The portion of the forum software which provides those features called "bbcode" have been malfunctioning ever since there was an upgrade performed a few months ago. I'm not too sure what the administrator is doing to rectify the situation, but it shouldn't be too hard.

-a phpBB forum administrator for over 10 years.
 #930343  by MEC407

The BBCode functions still work if you type the BBCodes manually; it's just the buttons that don't work.

I'm not having any problems with highlighting text, though. What web browser are you using, Leo_Ames and TSTOM? e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc. I'm using Firefox and my ability to highlight text has not been affected.
 #930375  by scotty269

MEC407 wrote:The BBCode functions still work if you type the BBCodes manually; it's just the buttons that don't work.

I'm not having any problems with highlighting text, though. What web browser are you using, Leo_Ames and TSTOM? e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc. I'm using Firefox and my ability to highlight text has not been affected.
Indeed they do work, but very few users know how to use emoticons without being able to click on then, let alone a
tag ;-)
 #955959  by Jeff Smith

As posted in another topic, some of the changes made when the site changed hands last year affected the bb code / sql buttons. What I've found which helps, but which is an extra step / inconvenience, is to quote a post which uses the feature you want, and just copy the formatting. The quote buttons at least still work.

I've also heard Google Chrome (an alternative web browser) eliminates a lot of problems.

As for highlighting text, again and unfortunately, the alternative way to do this is to use the control-shift-arrow function in various combinations to select the text you want. Once the text is selected, use CTRL-C to copy it, CTRL-V to paste. Just some tips from an old DOS guy. :-)

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
 #962008  by DutchRailnut

yup its about time to get them thar buttons fixed, some of us old timers had problems programming a VCR and now you want us to do BBcode/HTML or whatever mumbojumbo/voodo you call it.
Cater to the masses, ake them buttons work, please, please.