Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#749183  by madcrow

Does anyone know if there are plans to preserve any of the older M-series units? The MTA seems to do a pretty good job with preservation of subway equipment, but AFAIK, it seems that they don't do nearly as well with Metro-North and LIRR stuff...
 #749203  by shadyjay

madcrow wrote:Does anyone know if there are plans to preserve any of the older M-series units? The MTA seems to do a pretty good job with preservation of subway equipment, but AFAIK, it seems that they don't do nearly as well with Metro-North and LIRR stuff...
I beg to differ, on the MNR aspect... there are numerous FL-9s which were donated to/acquired by museum groups and some operating throughout the region (Naugy in CT and Maine Eastern both operate FL9s). Danbury Rail Museum also got a pair of ACMUs and the old crane from GCT. I'm sure when the time comes that a pair will be saved.
 #749259  by Patrick A.

There needs to be a farewell to the M2's day, $5 for 5 whacks with a sledge :wink: I'd love to get my hands on a throttle controller or reverser though.
 #749309  by FL9AC

There should be plenty of chances if you know someone in the machanical department.
it's Mechanical...and not as many chances as you may think since the units will most likely be bought by a scrapper and shipped out whole or if they're in bad enough shape or can't be moved on their own trucks, they may be scrapped on the spot. I wouldn't recommend it...
 #749379  by DutchRailnut

The cars sold to scrapper are sold after inspection by scrapper, removing any parts would be theft, and would get an employee dismissed on the spot and a outsider arrested.
Several company rules deal with these issues so be warned.
 #749392  by DutchRailnut

takimg spares for mncr, is quite a difference vs encouraging people to take things privately.
 #749397  by elec tech

Didn't encourage anyone to steal anything. Your on your own if you take something with the pure intention to either give it away to someone not affiliated with the company or sell it for a profit with the proceedes not going back to the company. That pretty standard issue stuff for any company/business.

But on the other hand, I'm sure each of your cars are outfitted with mnr flashlights. :wink:
 #749404  by Patrick A.

If MNR is smart, they should do what NYCT with the Redbirds, have some parts (throttle controllers, reversers etc.) be sold to the public as memorabilia, heck it would all be profit.
 #749415  by DutchRailnut

elec tech wrote:But on the other hand, I'm sure each of your cars are outfitted with mnr flashlights. :wink:
No not in least and am offended by the insinuation, I use LED flashlights bought with my money, I don't even use MNCR batteries
 #749484  by R36 Combine Coach

Patrick A. wrote:If MNR is smart, they should do what NYCT with the Redbirds, have some parts (throttle controllers, reversers etc.) be sold to the public as memorabilia, heck it would all be profit.
Redbirds have some fan following. Not sure about the M-2s. But a three-seater bench could be a great addition to the living room in front of the TV.
 #749506  by Darien Red Sox

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Patrick A. wrote:If MNR is smart, they should do what NYCT with the Redbirds, have some parts (throttle controllers, reversers etc.) be sold to the public as memorabilia, heck it would all be profit.
Redbirds have some fan following. Not sure about the M-2s. But a three-seater bench could be a great addition to the living room in front of the TV.
My Mom has all ready warned me that if they start breaking down the old railcars and selling parts she will not allow a train seat in her house :(
 #749546  by FL9AC

My Mom has all ready warned me that if they start breaking down the old railcars and selling parts she will not allow a train seat in her house
who in their right mind would want seats that have had YEARS of vomitting and other such accidents on them with the amount of people riding these cars throughout their career.

Moral of the discussion taking place: Don't take parts whether the cars are going for scrap or obviously if they're still in service/owned by the R.R.

"Elec Tech" statements like that won't make you too many friends. Maybe you have a few things at your house from work, but don't start joking around or accusing others of it, especially on a public forum monitored and even replied to occasionally by company officials. Some things are better left un-said...