Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#510295  by Clean Cab

I see that MN mechanics are indeed stripping M6 #9028 for any salvagable parts. So it is now certain that M6 9028 wil join M2s 8535, 8711 and 8808 in that great train yard in the sky.

#510350  by RearOfSignal

capecodlocoguy wrote:I can't believe that MN would scrap an M6!!
I heard that MNR wants to phase out the triplets once the M-8s arrive to streamline operations like having to lowering one pan on a pair not both pans on a triplet and also the locations of thru switches on the triplets cause some confusion.

Don't kill the messenger, just what a couple of guys have told me. Don't know if it's true.

#510392  by Clean Cab

I've asked a few people who are involved with both the M8 project and the Mechanical Dept. As of now, no decision has been made as to what to do with the triplets. The M4s are tentatively scheduled for their version of the CSR program in 2010. But some are asking how much money do you want to spend on rebuliding cars that will not be compatible with the M8s and eventually M10s?

Time will tell.

#511533  by DutchRailnut

A outside contractor started to strip the cars of underbody parts including truck mountings etc , so they can be loaded onto flatcars.
the first 3 flatcars are brought in.
about 20 unrepairable cars are being hauled out in total.

#511563  by L'mont

I thought the brake set-up allowed them to be pulled on their own wheels?

#511695  by FL9AC

yes, but I'm sure most of the cars would need a complete air valve inspection and rebuild for any other railroads to allow them to be interchanged. It would be more work and money to get the cars readied in that sense than it would be to get them on flatcars instead. I'm sure some of the cars are also not in the best condition carbody/frame-wise.

#513260  by DutchRailnut

Today at least 2 cars were loaded on flatcars, and possbly a third.
after securing the cars expect them to move by thursday or so.

#513293  by BERK44

On Sunday I noticed a crew cutting up one of the cars at the Stamford yard and loading it into a dumpster. Scrap prices have been doing well lately. This is a good time to do this.

#513358  by DutchRailnut

The cars are stripped in Stamford yard, not cut up.
They take of all underbody equipment and the hump so car will fit under wire while on a flatcar.
The cars pretty much look like M1's with red stripe when crew is done with them.

#513359  by Clean Cab

The M6 (#9028) will not be scrapped after all. It is scheduled to be repaired by the Stamford Heavy Repair Shop within the next few weeks. I just couldn't believe that such a new car with so little damage was going to be scrapped.

#513405  by BERK44

DutchRailnut wrote:The cars are stripped in Stamford yard, not cut up.
They take of all underbody equipment and the hump so car will fit under wire while on a flatcar.
The cars pretty much look like M1's with red stripe when crew is done with them.
Thanks for the clarfication. The hump was the part they were removing.

#513502  by SubaruWRX

Ah so thats why those cars are over at the Stamford yard.. I was wondering why one of the trainsets was disconnected from the other.

#513560  by FL9AC

even the regular shopped equipment is often split apart to facilitate the different repairs and inspection processes there. It's very common to see single cars sitting on the shop tracks.

I'm surprised to hear that the 9028 is going to be repaired, as quite a bit of parts have been taken off already that I saw at least. Front coupler is taken off along with the electric coupler, the interior has a ton of stuff missing, and the cab has been pretty well stripped.

#513571  by Clean Cab

That is what always happens to cars that sit around too long. They are always picked clean for any usable parts. Getting it back on the road will take a bit longer now because now the guys in the Heavy Repair Shop have to "obtain" all the missing parts, and fix all the damage!!!

#514524  by DutchRailnut

3 cars loaded and ready to be shipped, 3 more wrecks arriving from New Haven this weekend to be loaded on flats next week.