Railroad Forums 

• NS Lyons branch

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #887526  by Richard1

When did Norfolk Southern take the Geneva to Lyons line out of service? Also, NS's biggest customer on the line south of Geneva, the AES Greenidge coal and biomass generating station, is slated to be closed in March, thus putting the so-called "Corning Secondary" in jeopardy. It was largely re-tied last summer.
 #887608  by charlie6017

I'm thinking that portion of the line has been OOS for a good three years----I think there's a thread somewhere in the NY State forum on that topic.

Charlie
 #887652  by poppyl

Actually, I believe that the largest customer on the Corning Secondary is the interchange traffic with FGLK at Geneva.

Poppyl
 #887656  by Matt Langworthy

Richard1 wrote:When did Norfolk Southern take the Geneva to Lyons line out of service? Also, NS's biggest customer on the line south of Geneva, the AES Greenidge coal and biomass generating station, is slated to be closed in March, thus putting the so-called "Corning Secondary" in jeopardy. It was largely re-tied last summer.
I don't think the Corning Secondary is in any jeopardy of being torn up. If anything, NS might eventually sell it to FGLK owing to the loss of coal traffic... but that's pure speculation at this point.
 #891029  by Awol

Richard1 wrote:When did Norfolk Southern take the Geneva to Lyons line out of service?
May 5th, 2009