Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1357235  by dowlingm

Maybe the Amtrak dude could sell tickets for that Worcester-Providence private service... if it ever happens...
 #1357276  by sicariis

Looking at tickets for Holiday time and into January, no sleeper still to be found on the Boston section. Have to go out until 2/1/16 to get a sleeper on 449.

I could have swore I saw a sleeper back on that section for late November when I checked for tickets a week ago, once the CSX track work wrapped up. I guess I was imagining it or Amtrak switched it up. Any updates on the platform work at Albany? When is it supposed to be finished?

Is the BOS-ALB shuttle Amfleet IIs? The Consist would be something like P42-Viewliner Baggage- 2 Amfleet II's - and a Amfleet cafe? A club Cafe would certainly be nice for sleeper Pax.
Last edited by sicariis on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1357277  by nomis

Recently I've observed it leaving BOS as P42 - ViewBag - A1 Cafe - A2 Coach - A2 Coach.
 #1357345  by Backshophoss

Untill all the trackwork is done at Albany,the Boston sleeper goes to Sunnyside to turn around
and the "shuttle" consist covers #'s 448/449 ALB- BOS. :( :(
CSX hopefully is done for trackwork for the season,or should get fined for the continued track closures by the STB.
 #1357355  by Railjunkie

CSX dosent care about there own trains do you really think they care about two Amtrak trains aday???? As for the Albany station track one more big project has started hopefully it will be done before the snow flies. It shouldnt effect the B&A side for now.
 #1358473  by twropr

LAKE SHORE LIMITED #49 reported 66 axles by the DED at Fort Plain NY on Sun the 21st - since he normally reports 52, it will be interesting to find out what he had in the consist.
Andy
Jacksonville, FL
 #1358500  by nomis

C&O Chapel Hill was reported to leave BOS today on 449.
 #1368273  by twropr

Can't answer question about the Boston sleeper (back in Nov. they were saying Feb.) but can advise that since the second weekend this month, the train has been reporting only 44 axles by the Fort Plain DED.
Andy
 #1368281  by Mackensen

twropr wrote:Can't answer question about the Boston sleeper (back in Nov. they were saying Feb.) but can advise that since the second weekend this month, the train has been reporting only 44 axles by the Fort Plain DED.
Andy
48 (24) had a Viewliner baggage car, three Viewliner sleepers, Heritage diner 8532, an Amfleet cafe, and I think three Amfleet coaches. Maybe four? Sleeper patronage was strong and the diner was full. The connecting 448 at Albany had a Viewliner bag, an Amfleet cafe, and two Amfleet coaches. I saw plenty of work in progress around the station but can't speak to how close they are to finishing it.
 #1368297  by Rockingham Racer

A bookable thru sleeper out of Boston appears beginning on Friday, April 1 at the Amtrak website. It's been pushed back once, so there's no reason to believe that this date is cast in stone.
 #1375123  by oamundsen

We did a Syracuse/Boston roundtrip last week. A CSX monster length stack train was placed just ahead of 48 coming into Syracuse and we arrived Albany late so the transfer to 448 was immediate with an on time arrival in Boston. The return was different: 448 arrived half hour early, the station was mobbed with those heading to Rutland, VT, and then a huge crowd lining up for 68(?) to NYC and one other train, all within the hour plus we waited for 49. We arrived about 20 minutes late into Syracuse. I heard that Amtrak is "studying" keeping the 448 as a shuttle train because the switching in Albany, even with the now operating 4 tracks, is labor intensive and therefore the shuttle is cheaper. Who knows.