Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#808909  by nytm press

Save the dates and watch the closing doors!

New York Transit Museum Summer Nostalgia Train excursions are on the move
June 6, July 31 and August 21st from 10 AM to 5 PM
Departing from the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn Heights

Save the dates and watch the closing doors, the New York Transit Museum’s Summer Nostalgia Trains are on the move! On June 6th THE LO-V’S TAKE A SPIN, July 31st they are CONEY ISLAND BOUND and on August 21, 2010, the vintage railcars are off TO THE ROCKAWAYS, BY RAIL AND BUS. All 2010 Nostalgia Train excursions are day-long events starting at 10 AM and ending at 5 PM and include free day-of-event museum admission. Strollers are not permitted on Nostalgia Rides. Tickets: Adults $45, Children $20, Museum Members $30 and Member Children (5-17) $15. All three 2010 Transit Museum Nostalgia Train excursions will depart from the New York Transit Museum, a decommissioned subway station at the corner of Boerum Place and Schermerhorn Street in Brooklyn Heights.

With something for everyone, the first excursion “The Lo-V’s Take a Spin” on June 6, 2010, offers an amazing “fan trip” experience. Passengers will be treated to numerous photo-ops of these vintage railcars in action between Brooklyn and Manhattan. This year, the 1917 Low-V Trailer, usually on static display in the Museum, joins the rolling fleet, making this a memorable day for all. These cars feature rattan bench seating, overhead ceiling fans, exposed light bulbs and closely resemble the subway cars built for New York City’s first subway in 1904.

The second “Coney Island Bound” excursion on July 31, 2010, offers passengers a day at the beach or additional rides on the 1930s – 1940s R 1/9 pre World War II rolling stock. Dine on Coney Island’s famous franks and lemonade, or chow down on world class salt-water taffy and other tasty seaside treats. Baseball fans may skip the return trip and attend a Brooklyn Cyclones vs. Staten Island Yankees game which starts at 6 PM at nearby MCU Park. Admission to the Cyclones game is not included in the tour price. The R1/9 series of subway cars entered operation in the 30s and 40s. The interiors feature rattan seating, overhead fans, baked porcelain hand holds and poles.

The Transit Museum’s final scheduled Nostalgia Train for the 2010 season departs August 21, 2010 and is headed “To the Rockaways, By Rail and Bus!” The vintage R1/9 railcars will take passengers from the New York Transit Museum and across Jamaica Bay to Rockaway Park, arriving just in time for lunch (not included). Here you may stroll on the beach, travel by vintage bus to Gateway National Park or even take turns riding on the assorted 1940’s and 1950’s vintage buses, which will be operating continuously. At the end of the day, you may ride the museum train back to downtown Brooklyn or midtown Manhattan or, for an extra $5.00, ride a vintage bus across Jamaica Bay and through Brooklyn back to the Broadway Junction – East New York ‘A’ line subway station.

If you have never visited the New York Transit Museum, or want to see what’s new, this is your chance. As an added bonus, Nostalgia Train passengers may tour the Museum before boarding the vintage fleet for a day of fun riding the rails.

Planning to ride all three excursions? Then you might want to consider becoming a Museum member first! Museum members pay less to ride the excursions and enjoy year-long benefits that include free admission to the Museum, invites to gallery receptions, Museum Store discounts and the opportunity to sign up for Museum tours at a reduced fee before the general public. Many tours sell out during the members preview period, so there is a definite advantage and benefit to membership.

Reservations and advance payment are highly recommended and Museum membership offers substantial year-round discounts. For Nostalgia Train reservations call 718-694-1867. To become a New York Transit Museum member call 718 694-3451 or log onto http://www.mta.info/mta/museum/#membership and download a membership application.

Please note: Nostalgia Rides and the tours that follow are subject to change without notice. In case of a program cancellation, the Museum will issue a voucher equal to the dollar amount paid.
Vouchers are valid for one year and can be redeemed for any other Transit Museum scheduled program.
Vouchers cannot be used for Museum admission or for purchases in the Museum stores.
Attachments:
R 1/9 1930s - 1940s vintage subway car consist
R 1/9 1930s - 1940s vintage subway car consist
R1.9 Nos Train c. 2007 lr.jpg (385 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
Interior of 1917 Lo-V Railcar
Interior of 1917 Lo-V Railcar
lo v nos train lr.jpg (338.37 KiB) Viewed 5106 times
 #816227  by 3rdavenueEL

I was lucky enough to ride this train last Sunday. I rode these cars when I was a youngster growing up in the South Bronx. Our apartment was a block away from thr 3rd Avenue El at the 156th St. stop. The cars were in wonderful condition and very capable of high speeds. Many times we had to dash from one point to the next to make our connections within a timely manner. I plan to become a member of the Transit Museum next year so that I can in on trips planned for 2011. I recommend riding these trains. I'd love to ride on the old Brill cars from the 1930's that ran in Philadelphia. Dream on.
 #817756  by jonnhrr

I am planning to travel down to NYC for the 7/31 trip to CI. Looking forward to it as I have never had a chance to ride the arnines other than a short trip on the R4's at Seashore.
I remember seeing them back in the late 60's catching a train at 42nd St. on the IND traveling down to Penn station, however the train I got was a brand new out of the box, probably an R42 or R46?

One thing I was curious about is which routes they would use to get down to Coney Island, from looking at the track maps it looks like they could pick up the Culver line by backing up to Jay St. Boro hall. It would be nice if they were to say head out on the Culver then come back on the Brighton line although I guess that would take some switching to get back to Court St.

Jon