Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#907794  by Terrapin Station

Clean Cab wrote:It seems that these trains will run for yet another season. The MN crews who qualified between New Rochelle and Penn Station have begun to take head end rides on Amtrak trains to maintain their qualifications. I did my two round trips last week.
Thank you for posting this bit of news. If your hunch is correct, then that is quite interesting considering that there were several people in this thread who were convinced or heavily of the opinion that the trains would not run for the 2011 season, even though no official word had been released and no actual measure of success could be defined.
 #908114  by Otto Vondrak

Terrapin Station wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:It seems that these trains will run for yet another season. The MN crews who qualified between New Rochelle and Penn Station have begun to take head end rides on Amtrak trains to maintain their qualifications. I did my two round trips last week.
Thank you for posting this bit of news. If your hunch is correct, then that is quite interesting considering that there were several people in this thread who were convinced or heavily of the opinion that the trains would not run for the 2011 season, even though no official word had been released and no actual measure of success could be defined.
TerrapinStation is smart. We are all dumb. I get it. Now you can stop your little passive-aggressive campaign in this thread.

I would like nothing more than to see the trains return for 2011. Every indication we had previous led us to believe that this was a limited experiment with no future past 2010.
 #908209  by Terrapin Station

Otto, IIRC, you were the only one (or one of maybe two people) who was using the "2-year experiment" reasoning. AFAIK most everyone else who was claiming that the trains would not return were using the ambiguous "low ridership" reasoning. All along, for months now, maybe even going back over a year, I have been asking those people to justify their claims of "low ridership". No one has been able to provide ridership statistics. On top of that, no one has been able to come even close to quantifying what NJT expected the ridership to be. (Many people still, to this day, keep perpetuating the myth that the trains should have been "full".) So without those two pieces of information, it would seem that those people are making baseless claims. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for your "2-year experiment" reasoning, it very well may be true that it was a 2-year experiment. But since there has been no official statement (AFAIK) that the experiment was a failure, and/or since no one has been able to provide actual and projected ridership numbers, I'm not sure why you thought it was a failure and why that would mean that the 2-year experiment failed and/or wouldn't be continued.
 #908449  by Otto Vondrak

Terrapin Station wrote:Otto, IIRC, you were the only one (or one of maybe two people) who was using the "2-year experiment" reasoning. AFAIK most everyone else who was claiming that the trains would not return were using the ambiguous "low ridership" reasoning... But since there has been no official statement (AFAIK) that the experiment was a failure, and/or since no one has been able to provide actual and projected ridership numbers, I'm not sure why you thought it was a failure and why that would mean that the 2-year experiment failed and/or wouldn't be continued.
I suck. You win. Now what?
 #908494  by HBLR

How about i give NJT a lil email and post the response here?
 #908617  by Jeff Smith

Site Admin Note:

Thanks to Clean Cab for the information on 2011.

Now, if everyone else is finished with the "nanny nanny boo boo's I'm right you're wrong" stuff (and I'm thinking they are), someone start a new topic concerning 2011 operations.

Thanks for your participation.