Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#774715  by TREnecNYP

I did not see this topic anywhere so i'm asking what's with some of the "vintage" fleet having LED destination signs on the exterior? How many cars have this? I'm asking because i noticed one on a wtc bound train the other day. Rest of the train displays WTC above doors then at the top of one of the windows as it pulls away (grove st this was seen) there's a long LED sign that says "world trade center"........ Was i hallucinating?

- A
 #774871  by Allan

TREnecNYP wrote:I did not see this topic anywhere so i'm asking what's with some of the "vintage" fleet having LED destination signs on the exterior? How many cars have this? I'm asking because i noticed one on a wtc bound train the other day. Rest of the train displays WTC above doors then at the top of one of the windows as it pulls away (grove st this was seen) there's a long LED sign that says "world trade center"........ Was i hallucinating?

- A
It was done back in the early part of this decade for testing purposes with the intention to put them on all the cars (this was before the PA-5 order was made).

It was only done on a small handful of cars. I had a list but can't find it right now. I think it was only about 6 or 8 cars that have them.