Railroad Forums 

• New York State Roundhouses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1208252  by Marty Feldner

No- that's the L&HR Greycourt table pit. He was talking about the NH Maybrook table and roundhouse, which he thought was owned by the L&HR. There was also an L&HR table at Maybrook, on L&HR property just south of BK. No sign of that one remains that I've been able to find.
 #1208314  by Noel Weaver

There has been photographic evidence that Lehigh and Hudson River power (steam) was serviced at the New Haven facility at Maybrook. The main facilities for the L & H R were at Warwick. None of the railroads that the New Haven connected with at Maybrook/Campbell Hall needed facilities there because they all had a major facility not too far away with the exception of the Lehigh and New England and they were not that big a factor in Maybrook anyway. Erie at Port Jervis, New York, Ontario and Western at Middletown and the Lehigh and Hudson River at Warwick. The NY O & W ran a through job or two between Maybrook and Mayfield (Carbondale, PA) but even in this case I believe the engines and crews came out of Middletown. The L & H R likewise had jobs between Maybrook and Allentown but again most likely the crews and power worked out of Warwick. The Erie also ran jobs via Maybrook between Port Jervis and North Jersey as well as jobs out of Maybrook but again turns from Port Jervis. This is not to say that the Maybrook connections were not very important, they were the biggest factor, freight wise, on the railroad for a long time. Maybrook, however, was strictly a New Haven operation although pretty big.
Noel Weaver
 #1248971  by traingeek8223

It has been relayed to me that the NYO&W roundhouse in Rome was recently raised. The building was rough but it will take some getting used to not seeing it there.
 #1248979  by scottychaos

traingeek8223 wrote:It has been relayed to me that the NYO&W roundhouse in Rome was recently raised. The building was rough but it will take some getting used to not seeing it there.
you meant to say "razed"..
you actually said "the NYO&W roundhouse in Rome was recently lifted up." ;)
(Normally I would let it go, but since this is a thread about buildings, I figure we might as well get the terminology right.)

Scot
 #1249163  by traingeek8223

you meant to say "razed"..
you actually said "the NYO&W roundhouse in Rome was recently lifted up." ;)
(Normally I would let it go, but since this is a thread about buildings, I figure we might as well get the terminology right.)

Scot
Good catch. I should really refrain from posting after my bed time as this is not the first time my brain has gotten in my way. I did mean razed. If the building was raised it was only briefly during the demolition process and most likely only small pieces of it in partial form. :wink:
 #1310815  by RussNelson

I was looking at a map of Newark, NY, and saw the West Shore roundhouse. I wondered "Gee, is there anything left of its turntable pit?" It ought to be right about here: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.04858,-77.09791&z=20&t=H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it sure looks like there is a quarter circle in the grass about 12:00 to 03:15. Has anybody gone there looking for a turntable pit?
 #1342797  by judgesmails

RussNelson wrote:I was looking at a map of Newark, NY, and saw the West Shore roundhouse. I wondered "Gee, is there anything left of its turntable pit?" It ought to be right about here: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.04858,-77.09791&z=20&t=H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it sure looks like there is a quarter circle in the grass about 12:00 to 03:15. Has anybody gone there looking for a turntable pit?
I just visited this location, and a concrete semi-circle is clearly visible in the grass. The center of the pit has settled somewhat, and it looks like there might be other features visible with a more careful search, but I didn't have time today.

FYI, there's a big sign nearby advertizing the availability of "industrial park sites" (presumably on the location of the turntable pit), so if visiting this location would be meaningful to you, then sooner might be better.