Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Fan Railer

Interesting twist... rode the system today to survey some things. They have cars 5813 and 5206 in service. In addition, it is possible to see the speedometer at your own risk through the cab door hinge. I clocked the PA-5 at 46 mph in the lower hudson tube and at 57 mph descending the lift bridge towards newark right out of jsq. Balancing speed is 55 mph.
  by Fan Railer

Fan Railer wrote:Interesting twist... rode the system today to survey some things. They have cars 5813 and 5206 in service. In addition, it is possible to see the speedometer at your own risk through the cab door hinge. I clocked the PA-5 at 46 mph in the lower hudson tube and at 57 mph descending the lift bridge towards newark right out of jsq. Balancing speed is 55 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7-D9ooMfSg - Video from that day... more of a sound recording than not, with all those damn security cameras and PATH's anti cam laws.....
  by Head-end View

Just for the record, as I mentioned in another thread, I saw an all new consist in passenger service this week that included cars 5819 and 5219, meaning that the order is almost completed.
  by Martin Baumann

Have any numbers been skipped? If there are 340 cars then the numbers should end at 5219 and 5819 but every source I can find says they end at 5220 and 5820
  by Fan Railer

Martin Baumann wrote:Have any numbers been skipped? If there are 340 cars then the numbers should end at 5219 and 5819 but every source I can find says they end at 5220 and 5820
no, but "every source you can find" was probably ripped off of wikipedia before the numbers were corrected. but we're still waiting for the 10 car option to come in, so those numbers will change regardless.