Railroad Forums 

• *** SHARE YOUR MODEL RAILROAD ACTION PHOTOS

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#846406  by sullivan1985

Clinchfield U36C 3601

My weathered and detailed Atlas U36C wearing Clinchfield Railroad colors.

I have all three units that Atlas released fully detailed and weathered. Tsunami Soundtraxx decoders are the next and final step.

This model is displayed HO-Scale layout at the New York Society of Model Engineers in Carlstadt, NJ.
 #849208  by Cosmo

Ok, here'goes...
One fine day in 1938 New Hampshire...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9B ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Fc ... directlink

And a few years later, thanks to Kodak...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bc ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_U ... directlink

These shots were taken on my G scale "Backyard Mountain Division" in CT.
 #856857  by AntonioFP45

Rick Abramson wrote:Here's a Jet passing thru Devon,CT.
Rick! It's been a long time, amigo. Just wanted to say "Hello" to you. I lost track of you after you left the "other" forum a couple of years ago. So glad to see that you're very active and still sharing information and photos of your work as well as of the New Haven.

Although I've been concentrating on the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad's passenger equipment, my interest in the New Haven is quite strong again now that I've gotten a good handle (imho) on metalizing streamlined passenger cars with Alclad 2.

I recently posted a thread and it should show up once the moderator OKs it.

Although crude in detail, and the riveted roofs are incorrect, I still plan on assembling E & B VALLEY New Haven passenger car kits that I got years back. I wish someone would produce a decent looking Pullman Standard 8600 series style passenger car shell.

BTW: Does Branford Hobbies still produce the HO EP5? I can't find a website for this store, but have read that the NHRR historical/tech society gives this business a thumbs up.
 #857004  by green_elite_cab

AntonioFP45 wrote: BTW: Does Branford Hobbies still produce the HO EP5? I can't find a website for this store, but have read that the NHRR historical/tech society gives this business a thumbs up.
I've also been wondering this. everyone i've asked says "yes I think so, but i couldn't tell you how to get in touch with him."

I've seen photos, for a time, IHP was selling Branford EP5s, but not anymore (at least, not when i asked).
 #861312  by green_elite_cab

Ken S. wrote:Unfortunately, I can't post pics of my trains on the carpet, otherwise I'd post a pic of a Darth Vader figure next to a Bachmann E60 that somehow split a switch. :-D
Wait, who says you can't? don't worry about the crazy perfectionist people here.

I once had people tell me i couldn't post pictures because my layout had "bare plywood" on it. What did you want? i was only JUST building the layout in the first place! There are a lot of "elitists" in the hobby world, but you just have to ignore them.

If people don't like darth vader and carpet with their trains, they can ignore it and move on.
 #861313  by Ken S.

green_elite_cab wrote:Wait, who says you can't? don't worry about the crazy perfectionist people here.

I once had people tell me i couldn't post pictures because my layout had "bare plywood" on it. What did you want? i was only JUST building the layout in the first place! There are a lot of "elitists" in the hobby world, but you just have to ignore them.

If people don't like darth vader and carpet with their trains, they can ignore it and move on.
Otto Vondrak wrote:Please, no trains on the carpet, dinner table, or desktop.
That's why I can't post it.
 #861323  by green_elite_cab

Ken S. wrote:
green_elite_cab wrote:Wait, who says you can't? don't worry about the crazy perfectionist people here.

Otto Vondrak wrote:Please, no trains on the carpet, dinner table, or desktop.
That's why I can't post it.
I can kinda see where he is coming from, because its supposed to be action shots on a model railroad if you take the thread name strictly.

Why don't you have a layout? wood is pretty cheap, even if you wanted to make something small to play with and take photos on.
 #861332  by Ken S.

green_elite_cab wrote:I can kinda see where he is coming from, because its supposed to be action shots on a model railroad if you take the thread name strictly.

Why don't you have a layout? wood is pretty cheap, even if you wanted to make something small to play with and take photos on.
No room to put that kind of setup.
 #861376  by conrail71

Dude, do what I did. Ballast a short piece of track and go outside, natural lighting is the best for shooting models most of the time anyway. Like this;

The whole "diorama is just 4 X 5 inches mounted on an old tripod

Or skip the track and just hold the model in your hand and remove it later on your PC, like I did here;

These are by no means "contest quality photography" but they get the point across and there's no carpet, desktop clutter or dirty dishes to distract the viewer from the subject!
Mike
 #861415  by green_elite_cab

conrail71 wrote:Dude, do what I did. Ballast a short piece of track and go outside, natural lighting is the best for shooting models most of the time anyway. Like this;

These are by no means "contest quality photography" but they get the point across and there's no carpet, desktop clutter or dirty dishes to distract the viewer from the subject!
Mike
Love the hammer heads, I've considered modeling them one day when i have spare models and time.
Ken S. wrote:
green_elite_cab wrote:I can kinda see where he is coming from, because its supposed to be action shots on a model railroad if you take the thread name strictly.

No room to put that kind of setup.
there is always room for a small set up. You only need a short section of track and some well thought out scenery. For the most part, the cameras i've played with can only take a focuses pictures a few car lengths back from the locomotive (if you can get the whole locomotive in focus). Look at my E44s on the module above. as Conrail71 did, all i'd have to do is take this module out side, set is somewhere convenient, and take photos that don't let you see how short the train really is.