Railroad Forums 

• NS Ditch Lights

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #743692  by NotYouMOS

All of the equipment that I've worked on and operated while employed at NS was equipped with ditch lights that could either be set on flash or steady. I've never seen a loco that didn't have the option of which you wanted. However, I haven't seen every locomotive either although I've seen A LOT so...take it for what it's worth.
 #743773  by ns3010

There are some locos out there that have constant steady ditch lights. IDK if NS has any, but I know none of Pan Am's alternate.
 #743868  by ST214

There is one Pan Am unit that has alternating ditch lights....the 382 still has them. Pan Am hasn't pulled them out yet.
ns3010 wrote:There are some locos out there that have constant steady ditch lights. IDK if NS has any, but I know none of Pan Am's alternate.
 #744284  by lvrr325

All Conrail units with ditch lights had an alternating feature primarily used at crossings or in conjunction with the horn. I understood it was an FRA requirement that the lights be able to alternate, but perhaps that's not correct.

Some of Pan-Am's units are former CN units which may not have such a feature.
 #751557  by diburning

My question was about present day NS locomotives and those only, not Pan Am. Pan Am has one locomotive with flashers which is the 382 which is ex-NS.

The FRA requirement states that if flashers are installed, then they must be working. The bare-bones requirement is that the locomotives must have ditch lights, but there is no requirement that they must flash. Engines leading without ditch lights must run at restricted speed of 30mph and must stop and protect every crossing.
 #751559  by gp80mac

diburning wrote:My question was about present day NS locomotives and those only, not Pan Am. Pan Am has one locomotive with flashers which is the 382 which is ex-NS.

The FRA requirement states that if flashers are installed, then they must be working. The bare-bones requirement is that the locomotives must have ditch lights, but there is no requirement that they must flash. Engines leading without ditch lights must run at restricted speed of 30mph and must stop and protect every crossing.
Every NS engine I've had that was equipped with ditchlights, those ditchlights were capable of flashing. (aka crossing lights). Now not every Ns engine has ditchlights - a bunch of end cab switchers don't have them.

And if you do not have auxillary lights (ditchlights or oscilating lights) , you just can't exceed 20mph (leading end) over public crossings. You do not have to stop and protect. (so says the FRA. local rules may vary..)