Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#331518  by DutchRailnut

Told there may be a problem at 138 street bridge, no trains getting thru ???
anybody have info ?

#331531  by peak-layover

No alerts on the MTA site. Could it just be up right now?

#331534  by DutchRailnut

Alerts are usually not posted on weekends, The bridge did go up but they had trouble closing it from other source, the problem has been partialy solved.
both track 1 and 3 are still out.

#331573  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:the problem has been partialy solved.
both track 1 and 3 are still out.
How do they partially solve the problem, don't all four tracks come up and down together?

#331575  by DutchRailnut

nope two seperate spans

#331580  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:nope two seperate spans
Wow, that must really jam things up for the Hudson Line, only one track into NYC? Doesn't only track 1 from from the Hudson(north of CP 5) lead into tracks 1 & 3 at CP 4?

#331603  by DutchRailnut

any 3 Hudson tracks can get to tracks 2 and 4 just start crossing them over earlier, like just north of MO tower.

#331609  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:any 3 Hudson tracks can get to tracks 2 and 4 just start crossing them over earlier, like just north of MO tower.
I misread your quote, thought only 1 & 3 were in service!!!! :-)

#331620  by DutchRailnut

does not matter all 4 tracks are still accesable from Hudson line.

#331697  by Tommy Meehan

I think they were opening the draw to accommodate work being done on the river. There are two huge barges just east of the bridge, along the Manhattan side, with big cranes mounted on their decks.

This afternoon, while I was waiting for a southbound train at Tarrytown they announced the 1:20PM GCT-Croton local was delayed acct a problem lowering the draw. My train had no problems.

Tonite the train I took, the 8:20PM GCT-Croton local, came up to 125th on Tk 2. They announced at 125th that we were gonna be held auntil the draw at CP4 was closed. The conductor even joked over the IC that unless we wanted to swim we had no choice!! lol

We were held about 10 minutes. When we got going it was too dark to see much but it looked like a tug had just come through the draw. The tug was stationary just east of the bridge and it looked like it had one of the extended pilot houses - I think the tug guys call them forecastles - so they can see over the barges when they're pushing them. The running lights were almost as high as track level.

It was pretty cool.

#332316  by L'mont

I'm sure that most of this work has to to with the bridge span replacment at 145th St. (Might have that last part wrong, whatever, the second bridge up from 138th St.)

The old span is sitting on a barge.

#332602  by peak-layover

I heard a couple trains were delayed in the early rush-hour because of the bridge again (At least the person who told me the conductor on his train said there was a problem at 138th street, I think that means the bridge.) Can someone confirm this?

#332686  by MNRR_RTC

The openings at the CP 4 bridge will be a fairly common thing for the next couple of months from what I understand. There was an opening today and besides a few late trains, it went as well as it could be expected.

#332895  by L'mont

How often does that bridge open?

Is it staffed?

#332917  by Tommy Meehan

When I used to reverse commute to White Plains they used to test open it once a month. Usually around 10 AM when I was on my way to work. Once my train was held at 125th Street during a test opening and I watched the bridge coming down through the front window. Other than that, in riding the line since 1956, until the other nite I had never seen the bridge open up.