Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#690314  by MACTRAXX

Buff: Why just take a ride out on the A train? I pulled off an interesting trip today:
Left Jamaica for Far Rockaway - LIRR - 8:35 am arriving Far Rockaway at 9:05am.
Walked over to Mott Avenue-Far Rockaway A train terminal-left there at 9:24 am.
I had a RFW on car #3828 and I rode the entire 31 mile length(!!) of the A train arriving 207th Street at 10:54 am.
The train was right on schedule.
The visibility was really good in the outdoor sections with the clear low-humidity weather.
There are photo opportunities out in the Rockaways,Hammels Bridge,and the rest of the line across Jamaica Bay. The junction where the Lefferts Boulevard A train splits off is
neat also with the remnants of the old LIRR Rockaway Branch nearby.
After I left the A train today at 207th I rode the BX12 SelectBus across to Pelham taking the 6 train from there S
down to 125th Street changing there for the 4 train up to check out the new Yankee Stadium area-I was there around gametime (1:05 pm VS. Toronto)
Then I took the D train to 125th to check out the Michael Jackson memorials at the Apollo Theatre-a wall to sign was set up,some remembrances were set up at the Apollo's
doors and many street vendors were set up in that block hawking MJ memorabilia.
Back on the D down to Brooklyn-Pacific Street-LIRR Flatbush Avenue Terminal for a look around and then the R train to Prince Street-SOHO where I am typing this reply at the
Apple Store - Time now: 3:50pm.
Anyway-I will be back on the Subway soon-I'm not thru today yet!
MACTRAXX
 #691086  by Head-end View

MAC, you were extremely lucky to have gotten an "old" train with a railfan window when you boarded at Far Rockaway. Many "A" trains are the newer ones that you can't see out the front of. Then the ride across Jamaica Bay would have been a bummer. Some days ya' win ! :-D
 #691334  by RailBus63

Head-end View wrote:MAC, you were extremely lucky to have gotten an "old" train with a railfan window when you boarded at Far Rockaway. Many "A" trains are the newer ones that you can't see out the front of. Then the ride across Jamaica Bay would have been a bummer. Some days ya' win ! :-D
On most of the old cars with the railfan windows (now only R32's on the A), the windows are very dirty. Still, a dirty window is better than no window at all.