Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned trolley cars in the north east?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#757466  by TREnecNYP

The City of Bayonne, NJ has some PCC cars stashed away from the newark city subway at its communipaw facility by liberty state park in Bayonne. They will be used in some kind of loop line on one of the earthen piers nearby corresponding to some new developments, condos, mall type stuff etc. They will be rebuilt by Brookville & sport some kind of pre-njt livery (perhaps sample liveries from other PCC toting systems across the northeast?), and put into service using either pant or pole (they have both). On a good day from the right angle you can see their "disco strip ghost" livery (njt stripes on white).

http://www.hobokenterminal.com/webpix/4323white.jpg

http://www.lightrailnow.org/images/nwk- ... -vogel.jpg

No, no similarity in livery at all... :wink:

- A
 #757546  by oknazevad

Disco stripes on white is the older NJT bus livery. And that's why the Newark PCCs sported it. Remember, to this day, the Newark Light Rail is run by NJT Bus Operations. So any similarity to the F-unit livery is indeed coincidence.
 #760038  by TREnecNYP

oknazevad wrote:Disco stripes on white is the older NJT bus livery. And that's why the Newark PCCs sported it. Remember, to this day, the Newark Light Rail is run by NJT Bus Operations. So any similarity to the F-unit livery is indeed coincidence.
I know, only one had that livery anyways. :wink:

- A
 #1006407  by JAP

I thoght i had seen one in claremont NH at the junction. sitting way in the back on an abandoned section of track. I aslo think there is one in Bellows falls VT/Walpole nh at the Green mountain repair facility ( the former home of Steamtown usa)
 #1006584  by scottychaos

In the 1940's/50's/60's timeframe there were quite a few (perhaps 5 to 8) old Trolley cars converted into summer cottages
at Lakes Lamoka and Waneta in the Finger Lakes region of NY state..I think the trolleys might have come from the Rochester or Elmira systems..
I read about them in a book years ago..details are fuzzy..but I know they existed there! :)
I have been meaning to take a drive down that way and see if any are still there, but I dont have the opportunity to drive
through that specific area very often...Anyone know if any are still there?

Scot
 #1006586  by scottychaos

Found some photos from the Lake Lamoka trolleys:

http://www.davesrailpix.com/odds/ny/htm/sgy01.htm

click the "forward" button for more pics..
Sounds like they are all gone now. :(
but some were moved to museums! so thats good.. :)

hmm..I wonder if any are still there?
next time I drive down that way I will take a detour to check it out..
its a bit "off the beaten path" but not too far out of the way..

Scot
 #1079518  by BandM4266

I know that there are a couple of old carbodys turned into summer cottages in Goffstown,NH at the base of South Uncanoonuc MT. I believe that there is also one in Rockport Ma.
 #1079847  by BandM4266

trainsinmaine wrote:I know this is a little off topic, but I read several years ago that some of the catenary poles along the old trolley ROW on Uncanoonuc were still standing after sixty-some-odd years. Does that remain the case today?
I had not heard of that before, but I do believe that it is possible, as I have seen a few original poles left standing on the old Atlantic shoreline ROW beyond what Seashore Trolley museum installed. I may be going that way this weekend and will report back if there is any left.
 #1167108  by highgreen215

And don't forget the Sisson's Diner trolley on Rt. 28 Middleboro, MA. The diner has not been open for at least three years now and the owner is attempting to sell, no takers. The car is a Wason from the Middleboro, Wareham & Buzzards Bay which was later absorbed into the New Bedford & Onset. It is the last existing car of that line and ran until 1926 or 1927 when it was involved in an accident. Every time I drive by there I pray I won't be looking at an empty parking lot or a pile of ashes.
 #1212978  by Tadman

It's not really the northeast, more midwest, but I found 4 South Shore Pullman's parked in Chesterton, IN, as a failed antique shop along the CN(GTW) line downtown.
 #1314598  by Michael D. Storey

scottychaos wrote:In the 1940's/50's/60's timeframe there were quite a few (perhaps 5 to 8) old Trolley cars converted into summer cottages
at Lakes Lamoka and Waneta in the Finger Lakes region of NY state..I think the trolleys might have come from the Rochester or Elmira systems..
I read about them in a book years ago..details are fuzzy..but I know they existed there! :)
I have been meaning to take a drive down that way and see if any are still there, but I dont have the opportunity to drive
through that specific area very often...Anyone know if any are still there?

Scot
They are Elmira, Corning & Waverly
The NYMT collection includes car 107, from that cottage collection, which came with trucks. Wow
 #1315609  by Gerry6309

BandM4266 wrote:
trainsinmaine wrote:I know this is a little off topic, but I read several years ago that some of the catenary poles along the old trolley ROW on Uncanoonuc were still standing after sixty-some-odd years. Does that remain the case today?
I had not heard of that before, but I do believe that it is possible, as I have seen a few original poles left standing on the old Atlantic shoreline ROW beyond what Seashore Trolley museum installed. I may be going that way this weekend and will report back if there is any left.
The poles north of Talbott Park date to the power line which paralleled the ROW until the present hi-line was constructed. Although STM used some of these for its overhead, according to the old-timers, they never carried ASL wire.