Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#658721  by designguy

how can we make things safer for track workers when facing the problems of detecting oncoming trains? better lighting equipment? full brightly reflective jumpsuits?
 #658786  by RearOfSignal

Reflective jumpsuits wouldn't help track workers detect trains, it would help Train Operators to detect track workers. Plus there are signals mounted on tunnel walls in work areas to alert TO's to track workers.
 #658933  by designguy

Thanks for the info rearofsignal.
But if there is a signal mounted to alert TO's why is it I still read about track workers who suffer injuries and tragic deaths on the job. can we assume signal mounts arent at every station?
 #658934  by designguy

alsow aht's the best and worst part of this job? I'm teaching a class on dangerous jobs and their environments and i came accross track working as a job that's not regulated by any type of federal government. which is incredible considering how long it's existed and how important it really is to have someonemaintina our metro systems. any insight anyone can give me to what it's like working down there?
 #658935  by RedLantern

How about a temporary block system to control an alarm. If a system could be developed which wouldn't interfere with the existing signal block, 2 wires could be connected to the rails, and if anything enters that block, it sounds an alarm. This would give better warning than the flagman standing there looking both ways with a horn.
 #659629  by MGL

No one should be doing anything dangerous. A properly trained worker who is following all rules and procedures, is over coming a hazard and should not be placing himself in danger. If a worker feels in danger, he needs to seek safety, and then seek clarification from a Supervisor. Any NYCTA employee can request a Safety Dispute Resolution Procedure be instituted on the spot, if any any one is instructing him to do anything unsafe or dangerous.

Michael
 #659631  by 3rdrail

Are those the blue lanterns that I see on the NYC Transit subway walls- "Rule 26 persons working in vicinity" ?
 #659635  by MGL

The blue lights on the Subway walls indicate the presence of a system telephone, as well as other apparatus.

All NYCTA track flagging is accomplished with movable signals, e.g. flagging lamps or flags.

Michael
 #659752  by gjk1716

designguy wrote:how can we make things safer for track workers when facing the problems of detecting oncoming trains? better lighting equipment? full brightly reflective jumpsuits?
After the fatalities of 2007, NYCT created a task force to analyze safety issues, and recommend changes. It consisted of personnel from System Safety and TWU Local 100.
designguy wrote:alsow aht's the best and worst part of this job? I'm teaching a class on dangerous jobs and their environments and i came accross track working as a job that's not regulated by any type of federal government. which is incredible considering how long it's existed and how important it really is to have someonemaintina our metro systems. any insight anyone can give me to what it's like working down there?
Though NYCT does not follow FRA regulations, they have several thick books consisting of their own rules. Working in subway tunnels is difficult, because most of it happens during the night tours. Naturally, someone working midnights feels tired, which can affect judgment and coordination. Many of the tunnels have poor lighting, which makes it difficult to see tripping hazards such as high spikes, upright bolts sticking out of ties, and spare/scrap rails stored around the system. There's also the steel dust, heavy lifting, moving trains, and live contact rails. There are some perks, but it is a difficult job, nonetheless. I worked nights in track maintenance for three years, and picked the day tour as soon as I could.

G
 #660055  by RearOfSignal

designguy wrote:Thanks for the info rearofsignal.
But if there is a signal mounted to alert TO's why is it I still read about track workers who suffer injuries and tragic deaths on the job. can we assume signal mounts arent at every station?
There are many more signals than stations, in fact most platforms have more than one signal anyway. But wayside signals have absolutely nothing to do with protecting of track workers. I've haven't heard of any accidents in this nature recently. And when it is it's usually because someone somewhere didn't follow procedure. The rules work, you just have to follow them.