Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#644871  by Fan Railer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPDbC_tO2Q
Caught this train at canal street, it is car 5126.
I got lucky because the cab window of this car does not have that tinted film over it,
so you can see EVERYTHING unhindered, including all the controls, guages, and, yes, the speedometer.
I have other longer videos in store just waiting to be uploaded, so be patient, they will come.

Just wanted to post the fastest section first, down the east bound 60th street tunnel, where trains can easily exceed 50 mph.
 #644911  by Head-end View

Good job, Fan Railer! Lucky to catch that untinted window. I didn't know the speedometers worked in any other cabs besides the operating cab. I also didn't know they could get up to 58 mph in that tunnel. The fastest I'd ever seen on any NYC subway speedometer was 45 mph on the northbound #7 along the Queens Blvd. el as it goes into the curve at Roosevelt Ave. And I can never understand why the A train loafs along at 40 or so, going across Jamaica Bay. :-D
 #651424  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:Good job, Fan Railer! Lucky to catch that untinted window. I didn't know the speedometers worked in any other cabs besides the operating cab. I also didn't know they could get up to 58 mph in that tunnel. The fastest I'd ever seen on any NYC subway speedometer was 45 mph on the northbound #7 along the Queens Blvd. el as it goes into the curve at Roosevelt Ave. And I can never understand why the A train loafs along at 40 or so, going across Jamaica Bay. :-D
Car Classes you can see speedos (lol) on:

Through the hinge cracks of the trailing car:
R32, R38 (extinct)

If the tint isnt there and the operator/conductor isn't in the way (many are broken on the R44-46)
R44-R46, R68/A

IRT:
R62/A through little window in cab door, only on end cars in 5 car sets, and all single cars.

And NTTs:
R142 only through the cab door hinge cracks, most but not all.
R160's same, but annoyingly, some cars have insulators that block the view, but not many. The one's i've been on were semiens cars.

Fastest speeds seen:
R160 Siemens: 56
R160 Alstom: 57
R68: 58
all 60th street tunnel

R142: 46
R62: 44
more to come...