Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Yellowspoon

Why is/are the local/express platforms separated at Penn Station on the 7th avenue line. If I want to get to Times Square, I want the first train to come along, be it 1,2,or 3. Because of station layout, I have to choose my train in advance (or run like heck when I see a train coming on the other track). Are there other stations on the system where the user has to select local/express before the train arrives?
  by jtunnel

I was told that the reason the Seventh Avenue line (and Eigth Avenue Lines too) are that way is due to the amount of "stuff" in the ground in that part on Manhattan. Penn Station itself, utilities and hotels all have vast underground structures in the area.

Part of the reason THE Tunnel will have its terminal farther east too.
  by Kamen Rider

the reason for the design is to discourgae transfers between the trains since there is an express station at the next stop.
  by Head-end View

Kamen is correct. I just read about this in a book about the construction of the subways. Especially on the IND lines such as the 8th Ave. and presumably on the 7th Ave. too. The reason for discouraging cross-platform transfers from locals to expresses and vice-versa is that it causes delays in the form of increased "dwell-time" at the station. And such delays mean that fewer trains per hour can be run.
  by Lucius Ameri

That is quite interesting with the dwell time... and true too, during rush hours on the 8th Ave. Line, they always hold up the expresses for the locals! Sometimes vice versa. The only thing that's really frustrating is that when you DO want to transfer, a conductor might be in a bad mood and close the doors of the other train just as you're exiting your train! lol :-)
  by Passenger

Kamen Rider wrote:the reason for the design is to discourgae transfers between the trains since there is an express station at the next stop.
And the reason it is that way at those stations is the proximity to Penn Station. Not because of the stuff in the ground, but the anticipated passenger traffic from Penn .

See also the same arrangement at the IRT station Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, near the LIRR terminal.
  by RearOfSignal

Kamen Rider wrote:the reason for the design is to discourgae transfers between the trains since there is an express station at the next stop.
It sucks after a Rangers' game trying to get to TS and having to guess which train will come next, at least at TS you can just wait on the platform and walk across, though the first train that comes is usually too crowded to get on anyway.