Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#615238  by Jayjay1213

Driving over Coney Island yard tonight, around 1130pm, I noticed the yard was empty, looked like it was rush hour and not 1130pm at night. Later on in the evening, I noticed a bunch of trains parked on the center track of the F line, having lived around the block of the F line for most of my life, I know that it is not a common occurrence. Are the two connected? Is there track work going on in the yard that I did not notice or is it storm related that they kept them out of the yard?

Thanks
 #615265  by Kamen Rider

RTO Plan 4 is in effect throughout the weekend. what you saw on the F are called "snowbird layups". Cars are stored on the line where snow accumulation can't short everything out. this is mostly done on tunnels with express tracks, so all GOs and most express service gets caned. due to this, as of right now there is a good chance the Arnines will NOT be running tommorow.
 #615313  by Lucius Ameri

Kamen Rider, as in Arnines, did you mean R9s? Such as the ones on the V train special service? Are you saying that there is a good possiblity that they won't be running? Thanks in advance.
 #615386  by Kamen Rider

OK, note to self, cut out super techinal stuff.

All the museum runs are operated under general orders. since all GOs save for the long term stuff (ie the southbound Qs skipping Ave U and Neck road) have been called off, there is a possiblity that that would call off the trip on sunday. another example. there was to be a big car swap this weekend to undo the R40/42 sent over for the C. that might not happen ether.

EDIT: no longer a possbilty; it's been confriemed, no Arnines tommorrow.
Last edited by Kamen Rider on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #615388  by 48toNYP

Kamen Rider wrote:RTO Plan 4 is in effect throughout the weekend. what you saw on the F are called "snowbird layups". Cars are stored on the line where snow accumulation can't short everything out. this is mostly done on tunnels with express tracks, so all GOs and most express service gets caned.
The uptown express track on the 7th Ave line was jam packed last night from at least 50th to past 66th (I only rode from Times Square to 66th). The announcement (which I was shocked was something other than "see something say something") stated that "due to inclement whether there will be no uptown express service from Chambers to 96th". I'd have to imagine it takes quite awhile to stage the trains in this manner as well as to return them to normal service. At least they seemed prepared for the weather.