Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#601612  by A23unit

how about Win, Garden and Beth...remember when Win burned and the only thing left was the Toilet?
 #1512339  by Head-end View

Not positive, but I believe Divide is staffed by train directors. As was explained in a much earlier post from the beginning of this thread unlike block operators they are permitted to make train movement decisions without getting authority from the Section Dispatcher at 204. Necessary for bigger towers like Divide that handle a huge area and lots of trains.
 #1512362  by freightguy

I think Head-in-view is correct,

Divide mostly had train directors. At least in the 90’s, 2000’s quite a colorful cast of characters. They would be willing to pull pranks on newer employees who called for permission to operate a switch or get paperwork. I think like a lot of things current those days will never return. Quite an education as I hit the 20 year mark this year. Not to take way from those towermen/directors they all knew how railroad.
 #1512366  by krispy

Divide is train directors. One position may do just paperwork/phones/radios, etc. but has to be qualified in all phases in the job. And yes, they had their share of "characters", and to post there was definitely interesting. Part of the job was learning how to sift through the pranks (i.e. moving the "hay train" for the Burro Crane) but you definitely knew the job when they were done with you. But a lot of that came to an end as everything was recorded and then able to recalled at any time from any Boss's office :wink:

Those guys had learned the job in the era before computers and had to work with just a speaker/block line and a block sheet, so they had no choice but to be good, or be gone to another craft. As the job got easier it was a case of "idle hands are the devil's workshop" and mild hazing was a common thing back then.

Even though a director has more latitude than a operator, there's still much we have to do with the section dispatcher and that can involve 2 of the 4 sections. During certain times they may assign a dispatcher to work in the tower, just to relieve the work load of the section in Jamaica. Just ordinary tasks such as switch inspection can quickly ratchet up how busy they get there.
 #1512435  by Head-end View

I started scanner monitoring of Channel-3 around 1990 and I remember listening to those "old school" operators just before the computer era. Any of you older guys probably remember the booming radio voice saying "Dee-vide! Where all the work is done!" :-D
 #1513759  by Train dispatcher

Since I don't often check in, I've just seen this post now. The biggest difference between an Opr and Train Director is money. Fast towers like Jay, Hall, Divide, Harold and Queens got paid more money because of more work. It was somewhat inconsistent as Valley was harder to work than Queens but was only an Oprs rate. Divide did have a cast of interesting characters such as Joe the Boss (Grimaldi) and Ted Bartels, either of which I think would have given the comment, where the work is done.
Since I was the exception, after I worked for 28 years for the LIRR 27 of which were in 204, and a few for WDW in Florida, my last job was as a train dispatcher for CSX first in Jacksonville then Huntington WV. There was a subdivision on CSX called the mountain division where there was in 2007 when I started working for them, 2 towers left, Rollsberg and Keyser. CSX dispatchers did not like to work with block oprs but with my LIRR experience, that didn't bother me in the least. What I was amazed by is how little an opr on CSX was allowed to do on his own. Not one of them would move a train unless I gave them explicit permission. This contrasts with the LIRR when the oprs had far more leeway to work their jobs. BTW CSX did eliminate both towers before I retired in 2011.
 #1513816  by Publius Plunkett

What I was amazed by is how little an opr on CSX was allowed to do on his own. Not one of them would move a train unless I gave them explicit permission. This contrasts with the LIRR when the oprs had far more leeway to work their jobs. BTW CSX did eliminate both towers before I retired in 2011.
Is this situation due to the amount of traffic on the LIRR compared to CSX? I'm not implying that it is easy to move mile long freight trains, just that moving hundreds of trains in a small window of time, can require more "on the spot" consideration.
 #1513861  by Train dispatcher

Is this situation due to the amount of traffic on the LIRR compared to CSX? I'm not implying that it is easy to move mile long freight trains, just that moving hundreds of trains in a small window of time, can require more "on the spot" consideration.
That does probably have a lot to do with it although I think that the difference in culture contributed as well.
 #1515163  by JamesRR

The PSCC is jointly operated by Amtrak and the LIRR. They alternate days of operation (not sure of actual schedule). I don't know specific territory but it def. covers from Harold through Penn - not sure if/how far into NJ it covers.
 #1524974  by DaveBarraza

Liquidcamphor wrote: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:25 am The LIRR divides up the Railroad into "Sections" with each section having a Section Dispatcher in charge of it. ...
How are the sections divided?
 #1525397  by Train dispatcher

How are the sections divided?
Assuming it hasn't changed since I retired (2001) -
Section A NY to Jay - Port Washington Branch
Section B FBA to Valley (Atlantic Branch) Montauk Branch LIC to Valley Long Beach, Far Rockaway and West Hempstead branches.
Section C Valley to Montauk (Montauk Branch) Divide to Greenport Central Branch
Section D - Hall to Divide (Main Line) Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay Hempstead Branches
Section A directly controls Port Washington and has no control over movements between Harold and NY but is responsible for writing delays.

Again this info is almost 20 years old but I don't think it's changed that much.
 #1525448  by gamer4616

Section A -
Mainline (Penn to Jamaica)
Port Washington Branch
Long Island City to Jamaica - Secondary Tracks
West Side Yard

Section B -
Montauk Branch (Jamaica to Valley)
Atlantic Branch
Far Rockaway Branch
West Hempstead Branch
Long Beach Branch

Section C -
Mainline (Hicksville to Greenport)
Montauk Branch (Valley to Montauk)
Central Branch

Section D -
Mainline (Jamaica to Hicksville)
Hempstead Branch
Oyster Bay Branch
Port Jefferson Branch

Section E -
Responsible for issuing and distributing paperwork related to daily temporary speed restrictions. They may also issue other paperwork when necessary to assist other train dispatchers.
 #1525886  by MNCRR9000

Any updates on when all the movement bureau sections are moving to the JCC?