Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

by Otto Vondrak

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/obituari ... r__71.html
David R. Sweetland | Conrail manager, 71

David Ross Sweetland, 71, of Exton, a retired Conrail manager and a lifelong railroad buff, died of cancer Saturday at Neighborhood Hospice in West Chester. A native of Rhode Island, Mr. Sweetland earned a mechanical engineering degree from the University of Maine, where he met his future wife, J. Susan Heath. He served in the Army Reserve with a railroad transportation group.

In 1959, he joined the Pennsylvania Railroad's mechanical department in Altoona. In 1976, when Conrail was created, Mr. Sweetland was in charge of re-numbering the locomotive fleet for the new company. He was transferred to Philadelphia in 1985 by Conrail and became manager of mechanical training, educating the next generations of railroaders. After his retirement in 1996, he was a consultant at the Academy of Industrial Training in Essington.

Mr. Sweetland wrote 72 railroad books and many articles. He was a member of several railroad historical organizations. He was especially proud to be involved in the preservation and restoration of a Class E7 diesel locomotive, which he rescued from the scrapyard, his wife said. The train, one of the first passenger diesel locomotives acquired by the Pennsylvania Railroad, has been on display for 10 years at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Sweetland is survived by sons Ross and Christopher; daughters Elizabeth and Joyann; and two grandchildren. A memorial service will be 11 a.m. tomorrow at Central Presbyterian Church, where Mr. Sweetland was an elder, 100 W. Uwchlan Ave., Downingtown. Friends may call from 10.
A partial listing of books by Mr. Sweetland
  by JC1076

Otto Vondrak wrote:http://www.philly.com/inquirer/obituari ... r__71.html
David R. Sweetland | Conrail manager, 71

David Ross Sweetland, 71, of Exton, a retired Conrail manager and a lifelong railroad buff, died of cancer Saturday at Neighborhood Hospice in West Chester. A native of Rhode Island, Mr. Sweetland earned a mechanical engineering degree from the University of Maine, where he met his future wife, J. Susan Heath. He served in the Army Reserve with a railroad transportation group.

In 1959, he joined the Pennsylvania Railroad's mechanical department in Altoona. In 1976, when Conrail was created, Mr. Sweetland was in charge of re-numbering the locomotive fleet for the new company. He was transferred to Philadelphia in 1985 by Conrail and became manager of mechanical training, educating the next generations of railroaders. After his retirement in 1996, he was a consultant at the Academy of Industrial Training in Essington.

Mr. Sweetland wrote 72 railroad books and many articles. He was a member of several railroad historical organizations. He was especially proud to be involved in the preservation and restoration of a Class E7 diesel locomotive, which he rescued from the scrapyard, his wife said. The train, one of the first passenger diesel locomotives acquired by the Pennsylvania Railroad, has been on display for 10 years at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Sweetland is survived by sons Ross and Christopher; daughters Elizabeth and Joyann; and two grandchildren. A memorial service will be 11 a.m. tomorrow at Central Presbyterian Church, where Mr. Sweetland was an elder, 100 W. Uwchlan Ave., Downingtown. Friends may call from 10.
A partial listing of books by Mr. Sweetland
I had the pleasure of meeting Dave and his wife a few months ago at a PRRT&HS meeting, and he was nice enough to autograph one of his books for me. He was a friendly and knowledgeable fellow and he will be greatly missed.
  by sectioneight

I had the distinct pleasure of working with Dave Sweetland at Conrail. He was one of the intructors when I took an instructor enhancement course in Philadelphia in the mid 1980s. We had a lot of interactions when I worked in Engineer Training. I didn't even know for quite a few years that he wrote books. I have a few of his titles in my collection, my favorite being New York Central Lightning Stripes. Great photos, great books!